Flash Gordon 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Great review Cas, completely on the same page. Absolute trash and I love it :D

"Eventually Dino would hire the perfect man for the job: Mike Hodges, who had done such camp, over the top sci-fi fantasy romps as... Get Carter."

I haven't even read the rest of the review yet :rotfl:

OK I've read the rest of the review. All I can say is that I have never been so tempted to buy something I really don't need and probably don't want than I am with this film after reading your review Cas. I remember watching this as a kid and absolutely loving it, so the nostalgia goggles are working overtime.

Thanks for the review Cas! Can’t wait for this - I’ve ordered the steelbook. I’ve got such affection for this film as like Star Wars, the widescreen images had an incredible effect on me as a boy at the cinema.

Agree on the impact of the soundtrack. The Flash Gordon soundtrack was one of only a few LPs we had as a family at the time, and as such was played so endlessly that it led to a lifelong love of Queen. The scoring to the football fight and the hawkmen attack sequences is beyond genius. As is Freddie’s singing during all of it!

Great Review Cas - As @Coulson quoted, also some fantastic pokes at the absurdity of Dino's choices. Yep, this without the Queen Soundtrack would be a nightmare, but I love it.
I REALLY want to hear that Brian Blessed Commentary! :rotfl:
Can't afford any luxuries at all right now, but just to note that Amazon.de has it available for pre-order for €27,43 right now
Screenshot 2020-08-05 at 11.10.43.png

Great Review Cas - As @Coulson quoted, also some fantastic pokes at the absurdity of Dino's choices. Yep, this without the Queen Soundtrack would be a nightmare, but I love it.
Can't afford any luxuries at all right now, but just to note that Amazon.de has it available for pre-order for €27,43 right now
View attachment 1345463
This is a apparently a 3 disc edition but I've not seen that mentioned anywhere else. 1,2 and 5 disc versions but not 3. Is this a Germany exclusive in Europe?

*edit*
Found it in Zavvi. But there is no mention of it in any of the sites I've looked at. BTW Zavvi is sold out.

£50 for a 4K disc - definitely one of my fave films from the 80s and I still have the film soundtrack LP. But I may go the digital route for this one at a £10 - george

I love this movie, but not 50 quid love it. Similar the John Carpenter special editions, I'm sure a sensibly priced standard edition will follow. Was thinking about just getting the remastered blu-ray, but based on this will hold out for a cheaper 4K version.

Last edited:
Your review was spot on and yet your conclusion was not. I remember seeing this at the time. After Star Wars and especially after The Empire Strikes Back, I couldn't believe how retrograde this was. Back to Barberalla land with special effects just as bad. It was if those two films had never happened and we were back with the usual Dino De Laurentiis cut price effects and his partner in crime Lorenzo Semple Jr who camps up every genre piece he has been involved in as if he is far too good for it. I am looking at between them and separately the crimes they have wrought on Batman, King Kong, James Bond (Never Say Never Again). I thought it garbage then (in an age where Lucas had given Space Opera dignity) and it is still garbage. I wouldn't give it house room and how anyone could be deluded it to thinking it is any good is beyond me.

Your review was spot on and yet your conclusion was not. I remember seeing this at the time. After Star Wars and especially after The Empire Strikes Back, I couldn't believe how retrograde this was. Back to Barberalla land with special effects just as bad. It was if those two films had never happened and we were back with the usual Dino De Laurentiis cut price effects and his partner in crime Lorenzo Semple Jr who camps up every genre piece he has been involved in as if he is far too good for it. I am looking at between them and separately the crimes they have wrought on Batman, King Kong, James Bond (Never Say Never Again). I thought it garbage then (in an age where Lucas had given Space Opera dignity) and it is still garbage. I wouldn't give it house room and how anyone could be deluded it to thinking it is any good is beyond me.
well...i must be deluded as it was great fun when i was a kid.... and love it still now...

OTT in every department and great soundtrack... we can't all like the same thing...

They should have left the wires in the film, for me it’s all part of the hilarious charm.

well...i must be deluded as it was great fun when i was a kid.... and love it still now...

OTT in every department and great soundtrack... we can't all like the same thing...
Count me in as deluded as well.
It's not just a matter of being "Good", it's the fun factor. Is a Bouncy Castle in any way sensible for a grown person to be in? No. Is it great fun? Yes!

Maybe because you was a kid and I was 20 when it came out. By then I was fed up how the cinema often belittled fantasy and science fiction. Especially after being totally blown away by The Empire Strikes Back, with visions from that in my head. Epic fantasy from SF literature that I never thought would be realised so realistically on the screen...and then I saw Flash Gordon. Oh dear. Yea maybe we are from a different age, but I thought it awful.

View attachment 1345463

Cheaper en france

Amazon product ASIN B088B36NVN

Saw this on it’s initial release and I still remember the grin on my face as the sound effect panned from one side of the screen to the other when Ming’s shuttle arrived at Prince Vultan’s palace.

Maybe a cheap and greasy burger compared to the fillet steak that was The Empire Strikes Back but I think there should be room for both.

Went for the full tat version and really looking forward to receiving it next week.

Count me in as deluded as well.
It's not just a matter of being "Good", it's the fun factor. Is a Bouncy Castle in any way sensible for a grown person to be in? No. Is it great fun? Yes!

LOL, this, exactly, 100 percent LOL !

So... is the UK 4K UHD set the exact same as the Arrow US 4k UHD set? Which is the better?

Maybe because you was a kid and I was 20 when it came out. By then I was fed up how the cinema often belittled fantasy and science fiction. Especially after being totally blown away by The Empire Strikes Back, with visions from that in my head. Epic fantasy from SF literature that I never thought would be realised so realistically on the screen...and then I saw Flash Gordon. Oh dear. Yea maybe we are from a different age, but I thought it awful.

yea , it is supposed to be "awful" tho, ...its camp, OTT, loud and ridiculous....its meant to be like that...it wasn't a "serious" sci fi film and wasn't intended to be.

some films are just turn your brain off "entertainment"

yea , it is supposed to be "awful" tho, ...its camp, OTT, loud and ridiculous....its meant to be like that...it wasn't a "serious" sci fi film and wasn't intended to be.

some films are just turn your brain off "entertainment"
The one thing that makes me groan when one criticises a fun action adventure films is the phrase "it's just entertainment." So was Star Wars. It doesn't mean it has to be stupid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom