Flash Gordon 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Brian Blessed is nothing short of national treasure and it's high time he was knighted. One of the most genuinely nice people who also happens to be absolutely bonkers with it. Some of the anecdotes he's come out with beggar belief at times and even if they are embellished they're damn funny (the "turd on Everest" story he told on HIGNFY is probably the hardest I have ever laughed in my life).

I would give my left nut to spend just a few hours in his presence though I'd probably be so awestruck I'd just babble incoherently.

G
His interview, well more him just talking and swearing a lot on RHLSTP is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, I'd agree with the other poster that he wasn't drunk that's just how Brian is.
around 17 mins in he's talking about flash Gordon.
Warning swearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Sky movies comment about Flash Gordon...for a second I thought it was meant for another film. I believe the world is going mad.
LOL! Yep, actually, for some, trying to save the Planet has become "outdated, & liable to cause offense". Because. Profit.

His interview, well more him just talking and swearing a lot on RHLSTP is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, I'd agree with the other poster that he wasn't drunk that's just how Brian is.

Hes a national treasure, they should have renamed Have I got News For You to the Brian Blessed Show when he was on never laffed as much that year when that was on.
Warning swearing.

Have this on pre-order, and was concerned as its a lot of cash....but I'm quite excited now.

Your review was spot on and yet your conclusion was not. I remember seeing this at the time. After Star Wars and especially after The Empire Strikes Back, I couldn't believe how retrograde this was. Back to Barberalla land with special effects just as bad. It was if those two films had never happened and we were back with the usual Dino De Laurentiis cut price effects and his partner in crime Lorenzo Semple Jr who camps up every genre piece he has been involved in as if he is far too good for it. I am looking at between them and separately the crimes they have wrought on Batman, King Kong, James Bond (Never Say Never Again). I thought it garbage then (in an age where Lucas had given Space Opera dignity) and it is still garbage. I wouldn't give it house room and how anyone could be deluded it to thinking it is any good is beyond me.
So here's an argument I never thought I'd make: Flash Gordon is on the same level of storytelling as Star Wars. No, seriously, hear me out on this. Both tell fairly similar stories (unexpected hero makes use of everyday skills, saves the day from evil empire, rescue captives, come across companions that know what they're actually doing etc etc) and are both equally silly. Which sounds ridiculous even as I'm typing it but is there really a big gulf between Flash using his football skills to batter Ming's guards and Luke thinking his ability to "bullseye Wamp Rats in my T16 back home" will help with lobbing a torpedo into the Death Star? For that matter any claim of Star Wars being a reverential treatment of sci-fi should really stop with that name. Death Star? Really? That's what the empire went with? Not exactly subtle is it?

The main difference is in how they treat the material. Star Wars is serious, Flash Gordon... isn't. But that's a tonal choice and doesn't affect the quality of the film. It can affect your enjoyment of it but that's slightly different. Example: I *hate* the recent Ghostbusters reboot mainly because that sort of broad humour just doesn't work for me at all. As I can't get past that I personally consider it a bad movie but it also means I can't objectively judge the film for others who have a different view of that particular style. Same thing for Flash, if you don't get on with this particular style then, well, it's never going to work for you.

I've also got to defend the special effects work for much the same reason. Sure, they're nowhere *near* the level of realism that Star Wars managed but that wasn't the goal. Just look at the original version of the attack on Hoth before the CGI clean ups and you'll realise how hard it was to do good model work against anything but black backgrounds. Instead they put their focus on delivering something colourful and extravagant which leads to just as unique, and in some cases impressive, shots as Star Wars but in different ways. Hell the *ambition* on display in Flash surpasses anything seen in A New Hope as soon as you get to the War Rocket Ajax sequence. It would take the end of Return of the Jedi to get that many moving pieces on screen at once.

Anyway it perhaps shouldn't be a surprise I'm picking this up day one. Very glad to hear the transfer seems to be a good one and really looking forward to seeing it for myself. The soundtrack remains one of the best ever and it's just such a fun film to dip back into every so often.

I saw it for aged 14 the first time on its BBC TV premiere on Xmas Eve 1983. My dad recorded it having fond memories of the Sat matinee showings of the Crabbe films. I loved it and could not work out which of the 2 female leads I liked the most! I am keen to acquire a 4K version but not at £40-50!

Warning swearing.

Mk1chopper, thank you for this link - just finished watching it. Golden! :thumbsup:

I've checked iTunes and it doesn't show any extras for the pre-release. I'd love to have the Brian Blessed commentary but not at £50. I had it on pre-order on Amazon but the price didn't drop so I've cancelled it as I can't justify this.

There are no extras currently on the iTunes version. That’s not to say they won’t be added at a later date though. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Does look great from the little bit I watched though.

This is Sky movies comment about Flash Gordon...for a second I thought it was meant for another film. I believe the world is going mad.

Thank you for sharing, I was going to watch this but will now skip it. It looks like The Goonies and Trading Places are off the list too. Hats off to Sky, this will save me a fortune in therapy to recover from the offensive nature of these films.

Seeing this at the cinema tomorrow. This was one of the first films I went to see with friends rather than with my parents back in 1980. Feels like it is coming round full circle. Really looking forward to it.
Cheers,
Nigel

Yeah, I think a lot of people have a nostalgic soft-spot for this, based on their memories of when they saw it on release. I seem to recall it was released at Christmas, and the trailers and soundbites made it seem 'amazing' " Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth! " "Gordon's Aliiiive!" - The spectacle and colour were just so out there, and the soundtrack majestic. I remember going straight out and buying the LP afterwards, having already got the single before the movie came out.

Then again I'd always loved the black & white serials, as a kid, I always remembered buying the Xmas Radio and TV Times and looking out for the old serials, whether it be Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers or King of the Rocketmen, which were always on in the Xmas kids TV runup. So the film was a must-see.

That said, I've had the Studio Canal Blu-Ray in shrinkwrap for a few years and never cracked it open. Not sure if I can justify getting the 4K, as without Atmos, the only differentiator is the 4K HDR picture uplift, albeit not sure how good the bluray transfer is.

Just back from the cinema. Excellent local independent that unlike the big chains enforced separation in the booking system.

Plenty of seats booked but they were all spread evenly around the auditorium with plenty of space between everyone.

The film was great. Not convinced the 4k does much, maybe you see it more on the small screen.

Cheers,

Nigel

I remember seeing it at the cinema upon release. It was such an assault on the senses!

The garish colours, the Queen score blasting away. It was quite an experience.

Looking forward to receiving my set :)

Last edited:
Legit read this review as Flesh Gordon. Which is an entirely different film.....
Flesh Gordon in 4K with Dolby Atmos. Now that would be..... interesting!
(Would anybody admit to buying it, though?)
;)

Flesh Gordon in 4K with Dolby Atmos. Now that would be..... interesting!
(Would anybody admit to buying it, though?)
;)
I'd watch it, the vhs I saw it on as a kid was woeful, might have been a copy though...

So here's an argument I never thought I'd make: Flash Gordon is on the same level of storytelling as Star Wars. No, seriously, hear me out on this. Both tell fairly similar stories (unexpected hero makes use of everyday skills, saves the day from evil empire, rescue captives, come across companions that know what they're actually doing etc etc) and are both equally silly. Which sounds ridiculous even as I'm typing it but is there really a big gulf between Flash using his football skills to batter Ming's guards and Luke thinking his ability to "bullseye Wamp Rats in my T16 back home" will help with lobbing a torpedo into the Death Star? For that matter any claim of Star Wars being a reverential treatment of sci-fi should really stop with that name. Death Star? Really? That's what the empire went with? Not exactly subtle is it?

The main difference is in how they treat the material. Star Wars is serious, Flash Gordon... isn't. But that's a tonal choice and doesn't affect the quality of the film. It can affect your enjoyment of it but that's slightly different. Example: I *hate* the recent Ghostbusters reboot mainly because that sort of broad humour just doesn't work for me at all. As I can't get past that I personally consider it a bad movie but it also means I can't objectively judge the film for others who have a different view of that particular style. Same thing for Flash, if you don't get on with this particular style then, well, it's never going to work for you.

I've also got to defend the special effects work for much the same reason. Sure, they're nowhere *near* the level of realism that Star Wars managed but that wasn't the goal. Just look at the original version of the attack on Hoth before the CGI clean ups and you'll realise how hard it was to do good model work against anything but black backgrounds. Instead they put their focus on delivering something colourful and extravagant which leads to just as unique, and in some cases impressive, shots as Star Wars but in different ways. Hell the *ambition* on display in Flash surpasses anything seen in A New Hope as soon as you get to the War Rocket Ajax sequence. It would take the end of Return of the Jedi to get that many moving pieces on screen at once.

Anyway it perhaps shouldn't be a surprise I'm picking this up day one. Very glad to hear the transfer seems to be a good one and really looking forward to seeing it for myself. The soundtrack remains one of the best ever and it's just such a fun film to dip back into every so often.
Uhhh...no. As a kid I found it entertaining but even then I knew it was silly. And definitely not Star Wars...

I used to attend the Saturday Matinee's in the 60's, at my local Flea Pit. Loved Flash Gordon then. It always left you hanging, so that you had to pay a tanner and attend the following week.

Watched this yesterday, and yes, its absolutely silly, with rubbish effects, but it took me back to my Matinee days, and I just sat and enjoyed it for the memories it brought back.

I'd watch it, the vhs I saw it on as a kid was woeful, might have been a copy though...
I am old enough to have seen it in the Cinema (Yes, a regular Odeon, not the....other type).
In a very stupid way it was entertaining!
:)

I've always loved this movie, and loved the retro-rocket-ship by way of the 80's aesthetic. It eschewed the realism established by Star Wars and Alien and embraced the 30's pulp with a gusto that's just so infectious it's irresistible, to me at least. And the casting is perfect, Sam as the dumb but true hearted hero, Max Von Sydow magnificent as Ming, Topol and Brian Blessed in the role he was surely born to play. And such quotable dialogue too, "No, not the bore-worms" being a personal favourite. Can't wait for this on Monday.

For those who may be interested (and have Prime), the doc 'Life After Flash' is definitely worth a watch

I haven't watched this film since I was a child and I'm just scanning through it now. I didn't remember they had their own Princess Leia. This character is not just a damsel in distress. Wow this film is bright and colourful, highlighting every detail for better and for worse. The sets and costumes are absolutely stunning. Ming certainly didn't skimp on the clothing budget for his soldiers and minions. On the other hand, he could have used some shoulder pads and a girdle lol. But Max Von Sydow plays Ming just right.

It's going to be an interesting watch.

I haven't watched this film since I was a child and I'm just scanning through it now. I didn't remember they had their own Princess Leia. This character is not just a damsel in distress. Wow this film is bright and colourful, highlighting every detail for better and for worse. The sets and costumes are absolutely stunning. Ming certainly didn't skimp on the clothing budget for his soldiers and minions. On the other hand, he could have used some shoulder pads and a girdle lol. But Max Von Sydow plays Ming just right.

It's going to be an interesting watch.
It's definitely a fantastic escape-from-reality Movie. Absolutely what many of us need right now

It's definitely a fantastic escape-from-reality Movie. Absolutely what many of us need right now
Very true. But I can already see a little problem for me. I can put up with skeleton stories, good enough CGI and SFX and great "spectacle movies" which are poor "films". This film has an OK story for what it is so no issue there and the costumes and sets look amazing. I can put up with the dodgy laser beams and the retro space ships look great too. But it seems I'm not very good at getting past really dated flying SFX unless maybe I'm watching in black and white. To me they look like cardboard cutouts against a colourful backdrop.

Bottom line, if you love this movie and the dodgy flying doesn't bother you, this will be for you. It will never look better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom