Flash Gordan (new series) coming to Sci-Fi

Starburst

Novice Member
Well it will be on SCi-fi US in August, so that will mean it will be shown on Sci-fi channel UK:lease:

The vast majority of US scifi channel shows are not 100% funded by them, they are either joint projects with others or are funded by their parent company which is NBC/Universal (who own UK scifi).

However when it comes to overseas sales the money that can be made by selling to SKY1, E4 or the BBC etc etc dwarfs that which can be made from advertising revenues on the UK scifi channel.

Heroes is one of the surprises of the decade, it's failure to sell at £250,000+ an ep to a UK broacaster is a mystery and it's appearance on UK Scifi a logical step since it costs them nothing if you take in the big picture.

P

pags payback

The vast majority of US scifi channel shows are not 100% funded by them, they are either joint projects with others or are funded by their parent company which is NBC/Universal (who own UK scifi).

However when it comes to overseas sales the money that can be made by selling to SKY1, E4 or the BBC etc etc dwarfs that which can be made from advertising revenues on the UK scifi channel.

Heroes is one of the surprises of the decade, it's failure to sell at £250,000+ an ep to a UK broacaster is a mystery and it's appearance on UK Scifi a logical step since it costs them nothing if you take in the big picture.

Sci-fi UK are not affiliated with sci-fi US and the only reason Heroes appeared on the UK sci-fi Channel is because Sky One poached Lost from Channel 4/E4 and they probably didn't have the budget to buy both. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky cut them a break as an incentive to Pickup the series so that more quality US shows were only available through Sky/cable.

Starburst

Novice Member
Sci-fi UK are not affiliated with sci-fi US and the only reason Heroes appeared on the UK sci-fi Channel is because Sky One poached Lost from Channel 4/E4 and they probably didn't have the budget to buy both. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky cut them a break as an incentive to Pickup the series so that more quality US shows were only available through Sky/cable.

NBC/Universal own both channels after the buyout of Vivendi.

Well since we don't know what SKY1 offered for Heroes or even if they showed interest I can't personally say if buying LOST made a difference, if you know the inside scoop then fair enough I'll take your word for it:)
However given ITV and CH4 also buy US content I would still find it incredible if they couldn't afford Heroes but I wouldn't be surprised if both passed thanks to the failure of Surface and Invasion the year before.

Simply put no matter what the UK Scifi channel could afford to pay they would lose out to a dozen other UK broadcasters IF interest was shown.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom