1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flame suit at the ready......... star wars discuss........

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gary D, Jul 28, 2003.

?
  1. Star Wars: Good

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Star Wars: Bad

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Star Wars: Average

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i've recently seen the first three films (on video!!!! aaarrrggghhh) anyway, while i was watching them 5 words kept rolling round my brain, "this is a bit crap".

Am i the only one who thinks this or am i not seeing the point - i watched them when i was a kid and remember loving them but now i'm all grown up (37) i think they are really really poor - badly directed, badly acted for the most part, and the script! dont start me on the script.....

it seems to me that these films are a bit like the emporers new clothes - no one one really wants to admit that they are really bad. indeed i think GL thinks they are pretty bad as he keeps fu**ing about with them.

so what do you people think, oh and a quick and polite notice - please put the lightsabers away - its not meant to cause a row.

2. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the first film (in order of making, i.e. the one that came on at the cinema first) was accidentally OK, despite the ham-fisted efforts of George Lucas.

After that, he became more powerful, and this allowed him to exercise his full, inept ham-fistedness wherever he could.

He really is a dreadful director, as far as I'm concerned.

3. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but the whole point is that none of it matters...
    as soon as the music starts and
    'In a galaxy far......'
    You get sucked into the whole starwars thing.
    I'm not a massive star wars fan. But whenever the music and the text starts, you're star wars world...
    that's what i think anyway

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    The first 3 star wars were badly acted (for the most part, harrison ford was pretty dam good as Han Solo).

However, it had a magic, you wanted to be a jedi, the bad effects you could look beyond because everything was so cool, the powers, the sabres, the bikini.... hehehe

I really don't like the new Star Wars but the old ones are excellent, very good escapism.

5. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still think ESB is pretty damn good; ANH looks a little dated in parts, but plot holes aside isnt bad.

ROTJ doesnt stand up well to repeat scrutiny, and Darth Vader does look a little silly at times.

(A side note: I also think Sauron looks very silly at the start of LOTR:FOTR when lit by orodruin, however as soon as the lighting stops and he appears all in black he's suitably imposing..)

PK

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, and although they aren't highbrow cinema, I still think they are very good films in their own right. (especially Empire)

The less said about the new ones, the better. But this page says it all:

http://www.lanceandeskimo.com/chefelf/rnt_78reasons.shtml

7. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The impact of Star Wars can't be fully understood restrospectively. You have to have seen the films at the time of release to appreciate that there was little or nothing to compete with the scale of work in terms of visual effects given the start of the art at the time. In today's CGI world, the shortcomings of plot, acting, direction and effects are clear to see. Modern comparisons are using benchmarks that simply could not have been envisaged or attained at the time.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    .... & have been developed as a direct result of these early films. ILM excerts an influence on so many movies from the past two decades.

.....me too !

Empire is still the pick of the bunch :)

9. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The most famous mullet of all!!!

:eek:

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Lucas only directed star wars out of the first bunch.
    Irvin Kershner directed ESB which is the best one by far.
    ROTJ is mostly junk as far as I'm concerned.

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And that's one of the reasons why the new ones suck so much ass. Lucas is in absolute control right now. If only Lucas had a few people working for him who dared to tell him the truth, he might have been able to continue the legacy. Instead... he killed it. :(