Flags Of Our Fathers / Letters From Iwo Jima

digitaldave

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting these on Blu-Ray, but can anyone let me know:

1) Are the films actually any good?
2) What are the Blu-Ray discs like in terms of picture and sound quality?

Thanks,

Dave.

These were two of the first films I picked up on BR, both are good films IMO and Iwo Jima especially has great PQ and the SQ. Certain scenes where the island is under attack sound amazing.. The SQ is better than the PQ IMO although both are very good... avoid however if 'grain' sends shivers down your spine!! :D

They can of course both function on their own and are very different films in a way, but IMO you really want both. :smashin:

They are also AFAIK both avaliable on HD-DVD with exactly the same PQ and SQ ;)

Thanks,

Dave.

Great films, excellent Picture and sound.....:)

avoid however if 'grain' sends shivers down your spine!! :D

Can't say as i noticed the grain to be honest Monkey....

I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was a vastly superior film. Only seen the HD-DVD of this (saw SD of Flags) and the picture and sound were first rate. I assume the Blu-Ray has the same picture and audio.

Can't say as i noticed the grain to be honest Monkey....

lucky you.. ;)

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the picture, the two films offer some of the best I've seen..including some slight visible grain ;) and as said I loved the audio too, but neither film has the colourfull 'neon pop' images seen with films such as Spiderman3 or FF4-2 for example :D Both are far better films ofcourse :D particularly Iwo Jima, but the colours and images might seem a bit underwhelming to someone wanting to 'Show off their new PS3' IYSWIM :smashin:

I enjoyed Letters much more than Flags. Flags seemed a little lost at times. Interesting to watch them both in one sitting though, especially for those cross-over points in the stories.

I have them both and I would highly recommend them. They are excellent films and the AQ and PQ is very good on both. If you like history and/or war films then they are unmissable.

Just picked up the both in a box from Sainsburys 7.99:thumbsup:. Is there a sequence to watch, F of OF first, or L from IJ? Just wondered in case it helped the storyline.

I have these two - they were cheap on HD DVD - maybe £2.99 each or something.

But all I know about them is that they're 2 version of the battle for Iwo Jima - one from a US perspective, the other Japanese.

But what are they like, style-wise? Are they set 'in the trenches'? Are they Saving Private Ryan style action/war films? Dramas set after the war?

Steve W

Thanks,

Dave.

1 - Letters was an amazing movie, well worth buying, Flags was pretty boring and I could of done with not watching it. I love war movies but Flags IMO fell well short and spent more time following people out of war rather than being on the battlefield. Flags is all about what Amaerican people thought of the war rather than war its self. Letters has allot more fighting scenes and is all about the battlefield, a very touching tale.

2 - Letters has a grainy look to it but the picture quality in HD is good.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Letters to Iow Jima, but would say Flags is a rental only.

BTW you dont have to see both movies for them to make sense or see them in any particular order.

If anyone wants to see an very good war movie have a look at Brotherhood of War. Better than Saving Private Ryan and Letters, which is saying somethign as both these movies are very good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

Flags of Our Fathers - 6/10
Letters from Iow Jima 9/10
Saving Private Ryan 9.2/10
Brotherhood of War 10/10

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom