• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

flac tagging folder as album name - help wanted

unique

i've just discovered mediamonkey as a more useful (to me at least) alternative to itunes for my iphone, and found it could convert flac on the fly to mp3 whilst synching. i've also been considering getting an ipod classic so being able to put my flac on without having to keep an mp3 copy would be handy

the problem is my flac files aren't tagged properly. i have then in separate folders following a file structure such as...

D:\main directory\subdirectory named artist or album\subdirectory2 for disc 2 or 3 if it's a multiple disc album\filename.flac

not all files are named properly, some are just track01.flac, others may be artist name-songname.flac. the filename isn't a problem to me really

what i'm looking to do is take the "subdirectory" from the path above and use that as "album name" in the flac tag, so when i drag stuff into the iphone/ipod it will group the files by "album", whereas if i don't then i presume it will just end up a huge jumble of files. in a number of cases there is a second sub directory that will have disc 2 or 3 and 4 in some cases, but files still named track01 to 10, the same structure as the other discs, thus the files are not all in the first subdirectory

i had a play with a couple of the most recommended programs, mp3tag and tag and rename, but i couldn't find a way to automate the process easily. both had an option to export all the tag data to a csv file i could open in excel and edit by copying the file path to the album folder (although it meant the album would be called "D:\directory\subdirectory" rather than just "subdirectory", but it would still work with the ipod i presume. the problem was that whilst the programs exported easily, i couldn't find the option to import the amended data back in

i could manually change the tags, but that would take a while, so i was hoping for a more automated process. as the albums aren't official releases, the other automated lookup options wouldn't work either (and the type/quality of material means i won't notice much quality loss as mp3, but i want to retain the original files as flac)

so ultimately the question is what is the easiest/quickest way to take a directory full of dozens of subdirectories containing flac files (and a few ape) and change the "album name" tag to the name of the subdirectory that i've named after the album name. is there a way of importing a csv file with tag data and updating the files?

what i'd like to do is have some relatively useful tags and then get an ipod classic or some other large capacity mp3 player and be able to drag all or most of the flac files to it, converting them to mp3 on the way to save space and let me get more music on. my pre iphone players worked via folder and filename rather than tags, thus i never bothered with tags, and the whole tagging thing is such a pain i don't update my iphone often

cheers

probedb

Banned
Ultimately I think you need to reorganise to make it easier on yourself.

Personally I have <Disc Artist> - <Album>/<Track Artist> - <Track Num> - <Track Name>.whatever

If there are multiple discs then I put it in the album name as (Disc 1) etc and also use the disc number tag.

If your dirs are a variety of structures you can probably use mp3tag etc but only on part of your collection that follow the same pattern, do that and repeat for the different structures? Maybe?

unique

Ultimately I think you need to reorganise to make it easier on yourself.

Personally I have <Disc Artist> - <Album>/<Track Artist> - <Track Num> - <Track Name>.whatever

If there are multiple discs then I put it in the album name as (Disc 1) etc and also use the disc number tag.

If your dirs are a variety of structures you can probably use mp3tag etc but only on part of your collection that follow the same pattern, do that and repeat for the different structures? Maybe?

it would still take ages to reorganise though. it would be quicker just to tag them semi manually. if i could copy and paste from one field to another by highlighting a load of lines/flacs it would save time, but you can't do that (ie. like copying and pasting parts of a spreadsheet). if i could import the export data back in after manipulating that would be easier, but it looks like you can't do that

probedb

Banned
Unfortunately sometimes there's no automatic way of doing stuff :(

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom