Answered Flac Streaming, R-N803 - Confused

vatir

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

Ok so today I got a Yam R-N803 and it's a great unit But I am really confused on how to play my Flac's from my MacBook Pro.

I setup a Plex server and used the music cast app and it plays back in Flac but there is no search function.

I also used the Plex App on the phone via Airplay but It shows on the 803 as "Apple Lossless"

So what do you guys think is the best way of playing back Flac?

Cheers

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
What software are you utilising to rip FLAC files on your MBP?

If it’s iTunes, it isn’t FLAC capable.

Cebolla

What software are you utilising to rip FLAC files on your MBP?

If it’s iTunes, it isn’t FLAC capable.
??

What does the ripping software and/or iTunes not being FLAC capable have to do with it?

The OP has stated having FLAC audio files already installed on the MBP and properly network streaming & playing them on the Yamaha R-N803, provided by the Plex media server (presumably installed & running on the same MSP) and controlled via the Yamaha MusicCast app (presumably on an iPhone) which unfortunately doesn't have a decent search facility!

Last edited:

Cebolla

Hi Everyone, Asset UPnP DLNA

Ok so today I got a Yam R-N803 and it's a great unit But I am really confused on how to play my Flac's from my MacBook Pro.

I setup a Plex server and used the music cast app and it plays back in Flac but there is no search function.
Hi vatir,

A couple of points here:

- Yamaha's own MusicCast streaming technology supports the streaming of audio files, including FLAC, provided by industry standard UPnP/DLNA supporting media servers. The UPnP streaming spec has an optional media contents search facility, but unfortunately the Yamaha MusicCast app doesn't currently support it.

- Plex comes with a built-in UPnP/DLNA media server, but it's not considered the best to use for providing audio files, as it's heavily biased towards providing video and it's not always clear if its transcoder is manipulating the audio files its handling. Also, it looks like Plex's UPnP/DLNA media server does not currently support UPnP media contents search requests:
DLNA/UPnP (remote)search capability
Allow searching collections via UPNP/DLNA

Fortunately, the Yamaha R-N803 is a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer as well as a MusicCast streamer. So all you need to do is make sure you use it with a standard UPnP/DLNA controller app that supports UPnP media contents search instead of the MusicCast app and swap out Plex for a decent audio dedicated UPnP/DLNA media server that also supports UPnP media contents search, for example:

- either the BubbleUPnP (Android only) or the mconnect Player (iOS or Android) UPnP/DLNA controller app;

- either the MinimServer or the Asset UPnP UPnP/DLNA media server.

I also used the Plex App on the phone via Airplay but It shows on the 803 as "Apple Lossless"
I thought it best to clarify this supposed anomally, which I'm guessing led to @spinaltap's confusing(/confused?) post.

The Plex iOS app is not being used as a 'pure' controller in this case, but is itself network streaming & playing the FLAC files on the iPhone, provided by the Plex (server) software on the MacBook Pro. This network streaming process is a proprietary one used by the Plex server with its own Plex apps, so has nothing to do with industry standard UPnP/DLNA streaming.

By engaging AirPlay, the Plex iOS app's resulting audio output, which would normally be sent to the iPhone's speaker, is instead captured, resampled as necessary to AirPlay's fixed standard CD resolution of 16bit/44.1kHz (for AirPlay audio only streaming, ie, not combined with video), then encoded in the Apple Lossless audio (ALAC) format, before finally being AirPlay streamed over the network to the AirPlay supporting R-N803.

John

Last edited:

vatir

Standard Member
Thanks guys,

Ok I finally found a solution, it took me 10 hours of reading and researching and £10 lol

First of all most of my flat I have done in 24/96 so didn’t really wanna use AirPlay and I bought the 803 mostly because of its network/server capabilities as well an integrated tidal / Spotify.

Musiccast is just so annoying with no search function.
And Plex iOS app doesn’t see the 803 renewer and i found a few apps that do work but they’re even worse than musiccast BUT I came across Glider Music Player
‎Glider Music Player

And it’s amazing very good layout + search facilities. I’m using the MinimServer which is really good and glider just works as remote :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom