Fixing wobbly slabs - want to do it incorrectly - advice?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 15 ish years ago a local garden centre company that does garden improvement laid some large slabs over a concrete base.
However, what they did, which annoys the hell out of me, as for the sake of an extra tiny bit of money, they skimped on the sand/cement mix.

Over the years, water from the home, has washed underneath the slabs, and eroded some of the mix the slabs are bedded onto causing quick a few to be wobbly.
A few years ago, we paid an old local guy to repoint them all, and a lot of that had cracked now due to movement.

Now, I know the correct way would be to lift all the slabs up and re-do it all, but that's not going to happen!

I have this method in my mind that I'm wondering anyone might know about....
So you have a wobbly slab and want an easy-ish fix. What I'm imagining is something like a tube of mastic container, but full of a very creamy cement? mixture, which you can pump down in-between the gaps, where it will spread out a little and fix the wobble.

I know this is not the way it should be done, but in my mind I can see it working.

Any thoughts?

There is a tool like a mastic gun that you load with wet cement for pointing and similar jobs, it would probably do the job for you. I would add some plasticiser to the mix to help it flow easier.
If you get the slabs stable then you’ll need to repoint - don’t use a sand and cement mix, use Silka Pavefix, its a resin and sand mix that is absolutely brilliant for jointing paving, it lasts for years and is very easy to apply. You can use a short piece of garden as a pointing tool.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom