1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing to a Stud wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steveatpipex, Sep 11, 2005.

1. steveatpipex

steveatpipex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, this post may seeem obvious to some of you but I'm doing it for peace of mind really! I would like to fasten my Hitachi 37" Plasma (Weight 29Kg) to a stud wall, the studs being 4"x2" wood, 400 mm centre to centre. floor to ceiling. I didn't think this was possible until the guy in Richer Sounds told me his entire diplay was fitted to a stud wall.

The question is quite simple - anybody got any suggestions as to what size screws and how many, PLUS do I still need to use any type of plaster board fastner too, just for added security? Any advice, particularly from somebody who has done this, would be gratefully received - the thought of me getting it wrong and subsequent consequences doesn't bear thinking about!

2. gunner84

gunner84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi

i think m6 screws would do the job , and if stud walls have wooden joysts (sp) try to locate them to use for the holding.

3. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I hung a 42" plasma on a stud wall. I used coach 4 screws (8mm x 90mm) to fasten to the joists where possible, and 4 heavy duty plasterboard anchors (7mm x 72mm) where there was no joist. The plasterboard is 1" thick. Its solid enough to hang off - I tried before mounting the TV.

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    Just use large screws and try and get it in at least 2 seperate vertical studs. Don't use the horizontal ones cos they are only nailed to the uprights.

This will be totally secure but just to test it, hang off it yourself.

I'm sure everyone who put a wall mount up did this and if it'll hold you the telly will be no problem.