Fixing subwoofers, advice please

mfosker

Standard Member
Being a bit of a cheapskate I've been building my system from eBay purchases, this has mostly gone quite well but I've had a couple of bits of bad luck with Subs.
First was an MJ acoustics Pro 50 mk2 which was super cheap due to a nasty case of the crackles and pops. I figured replacing the capacitors would resolve that, but long story short my inept soldering made it worse than when I started (i.e I wrecked something and now it don't work at all).
More recently I picked up a Galla Acoustics TR2 which worked quite nicely for a while until it started cutting in and out. I wonder if it is the auto power circuit is getting confused, (even though I have it set to always on) it switches on and off quite rapidly and seemingly randomly rendering it useless.

So I am wondering, is there anything I can do to the TR2 circuitry to make bypass the auto on and keep it switched on?
Or alternatively I can buy a replacement circuit board for the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 (and turn it into a MK3) for £250.
Or do something else entirely.

Any suggestions?

Dolus

If you only want to spend £250 you could consider the Gemini from BK Electronics, brand new for the same money, or any of their other subs if you want to spend more.
Gemini
Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

They are currently closed for their summer holiday and reopen next Monday, 09/08/21.

mfosker

Standard Member
Thanks, yes I had thought about that, it might be a good option. I would kinda like to fix up one of the ones I already have, but don't want to throw good money after bad.

John24ssj

Thanks, yes I had thought about that, it might be a good option. I would kinda like to fix up one of the ones I already have, but don't want to throw good money after bad.
if they have auto on/off you could just replace the relay with a permanent contact, that would bypass it the auto on/off

mfosker

Standard Member
Thanks, I'll look into that and see if I can figure out which part of the circuit board that is.

ColdPower

Novice Member
if they have auto on/off you could just replace the relay with a permanent contact, that would bypass it the auto on/off
Careful bypassing relays, as often the protection relay is used by stand-by circuit as well and it could be clicking for a good reason. Bypassing it can have, well, lets say unwanted consequences...

mfosker

Standard Member
Thanks, I took a look and realised that I can't even find the relay. I might have to rope in a buddy who knows what they are looking at.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom