• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fixing staricase - help [pictures]

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Recently the staircase, to be precise - last few steps and the landing, started making annoying noises - creaking and cracking when you walk over it. The house is only few years old and it annoys me. I have also notice that there is a small crack between the plasterboard wall and the staircase / skirtboard all the way around the corner of the staircase. It goes bigger when you walk over the stairs / put pressure on them, and then goes back to barely visible when nobody is on it.

As per pictures, the crack goes all the way around the corner of the staircase (where I marked it with the red line).

Is it a case of simply filling the crack? If so, what with? Do I need to paint over it after? Is the fixing job complicated, so I need a pro for that, or a (incompetent) DIYer can do it himself? Help AVF :)

20170723_102402.jpg

20170723_102631.jpg

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
But if the gap between the stringer and the wall is getting bigger when weight is added would it be best to add a few more screws through the stringer to the wall?

GarethP

Can you access under the stairs to see what's going on (like in a cupboard)?? Could need some extra bracing or some existing bracing may be broken...

Last edited:

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I'm at a museum with my son. I'll have a proper read at home. There is a walk in capboard underneath but it is full of stuff. There is no access to the bit that is cracked though

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
OK. I'm back.

So if I understand correctly, all I have to do is fill the crack with caulk. If the crack was mid wall, I would know how to do it. However, it is just in the corner, between where the wall ends and skirtboard starts. A difficult place to fill (as per picture). Will that stop the stairs creaking? I understand that I will have to paint the whole wall after?

Sorry for basic questions, I am really not good at DIY.

aVdub

Banned
Which tool do I use to get the caulk in the crack please?

Use a mastic gun and once in a wet finger or cloth to smooth off.
I find an old wet shirt or a running tap works well as you want to get it pretty smooth otherwise it sets a big like rubber and can be a bugger to sand down.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Use a mastic gun and once in a wet finger or cloth to smooth off.
I find an old wet shirt or a running tap works well as you want to get it pretty smooth otherwise it sets a big like rubber and can be a bugger to sand down.
Thanks. I just want to get it inside of the crack and nowhere else. I plan to buy the magnolia caulk, with hope, I won't have to repaint the whole wall.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Yeah just mastic it in and wipe clean as you go.
Caulk is water based so smooths off really well.
Thanks. Fantastic. Family is away in a few days time, so I'll have peace and quiet to do it properly. I take after doing it, I should avoid using stairs until its dry.

ChrisNic

A sponge works well to remove excess caulk, I always pinch the one from the kitchen sink.

aVdub

Banned
Thanks. I just want to get it inside of the crack and nowhere else. I plan to buy the magnolia caulk, with hope, I won't have to repaint the whole wall.

Sorry I misread and didn't really answer your question correctly.

Apply pressure when running along with the mastic gun (not too much though) and when you finger off or cloth it will push down into the crack.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
So if I understand it correctly the process should look like this:

1. clean the crack area
2. apply a small amount of caulk using a sealant gun (like linked above)
3. using a sponge or rag force the caulk inside of the crack
4. remove the excess of caulk with a different rag
5. repeat until the whole crack is done
6. stay away from stairs until caulk is dry
7. have a little wine to celebrate a job well done (optional)

Am I right?

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Just apply the line of caulk in one continuous bead for each wall, then smooth.

Take a look on YouTube, 1000's of videos.

aVdub

Banned
So if I understand it correctly the process should look like this:

1. clean the crack area
2. apply a small amount of caulk using a sealant gun (like linked above)
3. using a sponge or rag force the caulk inside of the crack
4. remove the excess of caulk with a different rag
5. repeat until the whole crack is done
6. stay away from stairs until caulk is dry
7. have a little wine to celebrate a job well done (optional)

Am I right?

The less outside the crack the better.

Practise on an old split bit of wood to start with and try smoothing off and then leave a bit to try and sand later.
It's cracking (pun) stuff but as said above a bugger if you have to sand it.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
OK, got it. Thanks guys. I know this is all basic stuff for most of you, but I've never done it before and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks for your patience :smashin:

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
What I would suggest though is applying the caulk bead to the entire length of the skirting, not just the cracked area.

Once smoothed off, it will look much tidier.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
What I would suggest though is applying the caulk bead to the entire length of the skirting, not just the cracked area.

Once smoothed off, it will look much tidier.
There is a small crack at the bottom of the stairs as well which I was planning on filling as well, but as you say I might as well do it all. Thanks for the tip :)

jassco

Distinguished Member
once you've got the knack of it, you'll be going round the house filling every single gap / joint that you possibly can

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
once you've got the knack of it, you'll be going round the house filling every single gap / joint that you possibly can
That is very possible :) On the first photo you can see the entrance to my man cave / office room. On the other side of the wall that is visible in the photo, there is another crack between plasterboard and skirtboard (the build quality is amazing in those houses), which creaks when you step on the landing upstairs. The wall is white there, so I plan to buy white caulk as well and fill that one too :) Nothing better than filling cracks... oh wait...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom