1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing Pull-down Screen atop IKEA bookcase?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Pitchford, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As it's not going to be practical to mount my screen on my sloping roof I'm investigating options.

I've got an IKEA Bonde bookshelf built up with the TV bench in the centre as an entertainment unit. The TV bench is 60cm deep, the bookcase is 40cm deep.

Now, the problem. Can I fix a pulldown screen to the bookshelf part using some kind of horizontally extending brackets that would allow the pull-down screen to clear my TV?

Anyone know where I'd get such a bracket, or where to start looking?

Thanks,

Mark

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Probably best to pop down to a DIY type place and look for something that you use or adapt.

I would also make sure you fix the cabinet to the wall.

3. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm just going to have to DIY it!

Good thinking about the cabinets falling over. Although my 32" TV should provide more than enough ballast!

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You know those adjustable shelves you get, the ones that have a u shape runner on the wall and brackets that clip into it. I would imagine one of the runners cut into 2 lengths would work well. Being U shaped it'd be strong enough. Just screw to the top of the cabinet (maybe bolt through to be sure) and leave just enough over hang to bolt the screen brackets on.

Actually it'd be easier to bolt it to the screen first then fix it to the cabinet.

Hope that sort of makes sense.

5. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nice idea WeirdFish, but I would want to be able to push the screen back into place once I've finished with it.

I saw some plasma brackets advertised somewhere on the interweb that got me thinking. two pieces of square tube with an elbow in the middle and at both ends. One end screwed to the wall, the other to the screen. This would allow the screen to be attached to the wall - almost out of sight but would allow the screen to be pulled out parallel to the wall with easy positioning when required.

See :

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/retail/plasma_screen.html

What does anyone think?