1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing Plasmas/hiding cables on dot and dab walls

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jaminho, Sep 19, 2003.

1. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post but been lurking and researching for sometime.

However, plasmas being delivered next week, (42PD3000) so it's all coming to a head and getting serious.

Been considering mounting options but not come across my plan in the forum so thought i'd see if anybody had tried/done the same thing and if they could pass on any pearls of wisdom before I start.

I'm planning to wall mount the plasma and my plan is to drop the cables down the gap on my dot and dab walls, (ie. between the plasterboard and the block wall).

Once they reach the skirting at the bottom i'll run them horizontally into the corner of the room. This hopefully requires only 3 small holes to be punctured in the walls which will be dead easy to close on completion.

What do you think?

Also, this requires me to buy the 10m connect cable. Is there any picture degredation issues?

Any tips on type of fixings for the wall bracket also welcome

Cheers

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There isn't much space between the plaster and brick with dot and dab, I wouldn't rely on being able to pass cables down. Probably better to have a tube where all the cables are run down, and done correctly should look rather neat!

As for a 10m cable, as long as it's a good quality cable you should be fine. I use VDC for such lengths.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could 'puncture' a few bore holes with a very thin screwdriver to estimate how much space you have between the wall and the back of the plasterboard. Don't forget to allow for the depth of the plasterboard itself - you should be able to check this from taking the front off a power socket or light switch. If you still think that you have enough clearance, you'll need to 'tap out' a clean drop from top to bottom because you won't want blobs of plaster in the way of your initial drop-line. If the drop-line isn't able to hang down straight you won't be able to find it when you make your second hole at the bottom!

4. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers fellas

Never considered the width of the gap, just assumed it would be 20-30mm. Good idea to take off a light switch or power socket. I'll do that when I get in later. If not an option, the tube solution seems to look good. I saw a nice one on the 'Get your plasmas out for the lads' thread.

Already tapped out my route and it seems to be clear.

Any thoughts on fixings. I know it's got to go into the blockwork direct but not too happy to be using normal brown plugs and screws.

Thanks again

5. SherrifJWPepper

SherrifJWPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fixed mine this way, drill through the board into the blockwork behind. Put the plug into the hole and then tap it through the plaster board and into the block behind. Dont over tighten them though cause it will crack the plasterboard.:lesson:

6. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I planned to do my cables the same way but found that I could not pass the power cable through the gap between board and blocks - all the other phono/s-vid cables etc would have fitted. In the end I cut an entire channel, then afterwards filled the gap with expanding foam and then plastered over the top and repainted. Very easy to do.

There are plenty of posts here regarding this topic in detail - do some searches on "plasterboard" etc. here is one where I detail how I did mine:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66626&highlight=plasterboard

7. BigCol

BigCol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a similar thing to what you're suggesting jaminho with my rear speakers. I have Linn Sekrets built into the wall (had to hack a load of brickwork out too :eek: but that's another story...) and passed a length of conduit between the plasterboard and blockwork and fed the cables up that - works a treat and is dead neat!
    :)

8. jaminho

jaminho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again fellas

I'll check the gap when i get home from work tonight. I'd really like to see it isolated like a picture so maybe the chase out option will have to be used.