fixing my drh screen to the ceiling

Reaction score
Got my new drhscreen today (very prompt and professional service if any1 is interested) this is how im planning on attaching it, can some1 tell me if im about to do it wrong please :)

lift floorboards from room above my lounge, then across the now viewable beams screw 2 big lumps of wood, then im going to use bolts to attach the screen through the ceiling into these new bits of wood

does the above sound ok? as im a little ****e at diy

cheers
jason

Big screws into the joists would be enough.

Borrow a pipe/cable/joist finder to locate the joists from the room below then there is no need to lift the floor boards.

Run the joist finder along the cieling untill it beeps - make a pencil mark - keep moving it untill it stops beeping - make another pencil mark. The distance between the two marks is the width of the joist.

Make a pencil mark in the middle of the two other marks and you have your joist centre line.

Use 4" screws with a big diameter and drill a small pilot hole first. B & Q sell some quality "SPAX" screws which will do the job. Number 12's I think you may need, something with a big thread, but dont forget the pilot hole, and make sure your screw is'nt too big to fit through the bracket.

It's best to work out which way your joists run before you start, it makes it easier to work out where to start with the joist finder.

Best of luck.

or......

I am not familier with your screen. My screen has adjustable brackets along it's length so they can be located to suit joist positions.

If yours are fixed and not in-line with joists then you could cut a strip of MDF just wider than the screen and about as long. 10 or 12 thick should do it.

Cover it with no-more-nails glue and screw it through every joist that it passes over, ( or rather under ). When the glue has dried ( 24 hours ), screw the screen through the MDF wherever the brackets fall. Again, use a fat screw but it need only be long enough to go right through the MDF.

Use the stud finder to locate any cables or heating pipes in the cieling before screwing the screen up and only use screws long enough to get through the MDF and cieling to minimise any chance of screwing into a water pipe.

I went through a heating pipe last week when screwing floor boards back down - what a bummer that was!

fragmaster said:
Got my new drhscreen today (very prompt and professional service if any1 is interested) this is how im planning on attaching it, can some1 tell me if im about to do it wrong please :)

lift floorboards from room above my lounge, then across the now viewable beams screw 2 big lumps of wood, then im going to use bolts to attach the screen through the ceiling into these new bits of wood

does the above sound ok? as im a little ****e at diy

cheers
jason

Jason,
This is exactly how I fixed my DRH Screen to the ceiling, apart from I had no floorboards to lift, as it is directly underneath the loft.

All I did was to hold the screen up to the ceiling and mark it. (I had already determined that the joists were to wide to fix to the joists). Then drilled the holes, got Two pieces of wood around 10" Square and left my poor old dad holding the screen ( :D ) to go in the loft and bolted it down with some heafty wing nuts and bolts. Took about 15 minutes in total, and it is now solidly up on the ceiling.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to say : Excellent screen & great service from DRH if anyone is thinking of purchasing.

just used 4 3" screws with some noggins, did the trick

(anyone gettings screen curl on there screen ? my left hand side is very curled but only on the border so it does not disrupt my viewing, the screen also doesnt go up evenly, i have the left side hanging down by about 2cm when the right hand side is fully up, doesnt bother me that much, just an observation thats all)

Ibster,
My screen is the same as well, both of the edges on mine curl quite badly, but as you say it does not interrupt viewing. Mine also drops down on the left hand side. Don't know why, but it would be nice to be able to retract all the way up.

Got my screen installed a couple of days ago. It's a pain as the mounting brackets are stuck to the unit. Which means you have to hold it up whilst marking the holes.
I just used two screws in the wall and affixed the unit on there.

Screen is good.

As per the previous post, mine is curling on the sides. I have yet to experience the uneven winding. Just hope this doesn't happen.

I've posted a pic on another thread.

Good luck.

Al.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom