1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing MDF home made screen to the wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jrwood, Jul 18, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive decided its time to properly fix the MDF screen to the wall, can anyone give me advice on what is the best way to do this as the House I live in is about 6 years old and suffers from the 'hollow wall' syndrome. I believe you have to get some special fixtures or something...

Any links to a B&Q website would be handy :)

thanks!

2. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what thickness is the mdf & how much does it weigh?

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I thought about putting up the 12mm screen Ive been using for the last year but thought it might be a bit too heavy for the wall.. :blush: so I decided to replace it with a 6mm sheet of MDF (8 foot by 4 foot roughly).

Not sure how much it weighs but the 6mm is a damn sight lighter than my old screen!.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is it a stud wall or just a plasterboard lined breeze block wall?

If it is a stud wall then your beast bet is to find the joists in it and screw something into them. You ideally want fixings around the screen to make sure it's steady and square.

If' its a plasterboard on breeze block wall then you can either drill through and into the breeze block and put in normal rawl plugs, or use plaster board fxings which screw into the plaster board and then you screw into them. You can get them from good sized builders merchants.

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info :), Im not really a DIY person (well not drilling holes into my first house...) but my brother is and he mentioned some kind of clamp socket thing which was ideal for new houses. He's coming round next weekend to show me what not to do etc

I think I prefer decorating...!

6. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that doesn't work, try fixing a light wooden frame around the rear of the screen as this will give more mounting options.

(Will stop the mdf from warping when painted also.)

7. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spring Toggles, work like an umbrella (spring open) as they pass through a hole in a wall, then you just simply tighten them up with a screwdriver. :) Simple to remove too.

8. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there JR I would not use 6mm board as it will not remain very flat the thinest that I would use would be 12mm and as for fixing it to a plasterboard wall as Retro as allready mentioned you will have to find the upright studs that are normally spaced at 400mm centres for timber studed walls and you wil get a good fixing useing 2 1/2 number 10 woodscrews If the wall is made with metal studing the centres will be further apart than 400mm to find the uprights you could use a small terminal screwdriver and by tapping it into the plasterboard on top of the skirting untill you find the uprights .BTW do not drive the screwdriver into the wall directly above or below any electrical switches or socket outlets
    If it is metal studing then you will have to use dry wall screws

Good luck Mark

9. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you thought of using Gripfill to just stick the MDF to whatever surface you have underneath. it'll stick anything to anything, but once it's on there you won't get it off. i've used it to stick new plasterboard over an old tiled bathroom wall and it worked wonders. also means you've no screw holes to fill, etc, etc. . don't use anything thinner than about 12mm board though as it'll flex too much.

I know it sounds like a bit of a cowboy job but it really is a good solution:D