fixing a screen to the ceiling and not the joists

blade1889

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope this is in the right section and someone can answer my question.
As the title, is it possible to fix a screen directly to a ceiling, only through the plaster and plaster board if you used the correct plugs?
I have a sapphire 92 " screen by the way
Has any one done this if so how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Jason

I would think it depends upon the weight of the screen. You can get special plugs, with metal spring out arms which grab the reverse of the plaster when inserted through the holes. I wouldnt be to confident using them though.

I would think it depends upon the weight of the screen. You can get special plugs, with metal spring out arms which grab the reverse of the plaster when inserted through the holes. I wouldnt be to confident using them though.

Thanks for the reply,
I thought that also and I am too not confident, thats why I wondered if any one had done this.

Regards Jason

You could do what I did, and get a length of 4"x2" the same length as the screen, fix it to the joists, then fix the screen to this. If you paint the timber to match your ceiling it won't be too obvious. To be honest though, I got a bit hacked off with it, and used it as an excuse to sell the 78" screen that I had, and get a 92" Sapphire Park Lane: adjustable fixing brackets=easier to fit and a far neater looking solution :D

Any way you can get the floor boards up in the room above?

That way you could add in sections of wood attached either side to the floor joists and screw into those from below.

Even getting a flat bit of wood (not that thick) resting on the plasterboard would spread the load abit more if you use those spring loaded plugs someone mentioned earlier.

You could do what I did, and get a length of 4"x2" the same length as the screen, fix it to the joists, then fix the screen to this. If you paint the timber to match your ceiling it won't be too obvious. To be honest though, I got a bit hacked off with it, and used it as an excuse to sell the 78" screen that I had, and get a 92" Sapphire Park Lane: adjustable fixing brackets=easier to fit and a far neater looking solution :D

Thats the same screen I have:thumbsup:, not put it up yet though.

the problem I have is my joists run the wrong way for me, if you get what I mean.

How easy is it to fix up this screen anway.

Regards Jason

Any way you can get the floor boards up in the room above?

That way you could add in sections of wood attached either side to the floor joists and screw into those from below.

Even getting a flat bit of wood (not that thick) resting on the plasterboard would spread the load abit more if you use those spring loaded plugs someone mentioned earlier.

That is exactly what i did with my electric screen that is quite weighty with no problems at all

Thats the same screen I have:thumbsup:, not put it up yet though.

the problem I have is my joists run the wrong way for me, if you get what I mean.

How easy is it to fix up this screen anway.

Regards Jason

Its a very easy screen to fix up, I put one up last weekend.

I did it on my own but it would definitely have been easier with someone to help hold the screen whilst I marked off the positions of the L brackets.

If the screen is running parallel to the joists but not underneath one and you don't fancy letting the plasterboard hold the projector the I guess you could use the suggestion a couple of answers up but just run a small piece of timber from one joist to another at either end of where the screen will be hanging and then screw the brackets to them

I fixed my 8' electric screen to the ceiling using the bolts with the spring out arms without any problem. I also added extra weight to the screen with my variable mask.

Drilled holes in the ceiling first. Removed the spring out arms from the bolts so as to pass the bolts through the holes in the bracket and attached the spring out arms again. The most awkward bit was pushing the spring out arms through the holes in the ceiling whilst attached to the bracket; two per bracket and just two brackets.

Once the brackets were secured it was quite easy to offer the screen up to the brackets and slot it in place although the screen is quite heavy.

I fixed my 8' electric screen to the ceiling using the bolts with the spring out arms without any problem. I also added extra weight to the screen with my variable mask.

Drilled holes in the ceiling first. Removed the spring out arms from the bolts so as to pass the bolts through the holes in the bracket and attached the spring out arms again. The most awkward bit was pushing the spring out arms through the holes in the ceiling whilst attached to the bracket; two per bracket and just two brackets.

Once the brackets were secured it was quite easy to offer the screen up to the brackets and slot it in place although the screen is quite heavy.

This sounds the easiest solution :thumbsup:and you have had no problem with the ceiling taking the weight on its own?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/help if there are any more please add.

Thanks Jason

Mine is installed above my bed so if I fixed it just into the ceiling I don't think I would ever sleep :)

I fixed my 120" electric screen to two plywood 'pads'. The pads were fixed directly to the plasterboard at 8 places using the toggle type plasterboard fixings. As extra security I used 'liquid nails' on the pads before fixing to the plasterboard. Then I fixed the screen directly to the plywood using wood screws. I'm about to fit a larger 133" screen using the same technique as my joists aren't near to where I want the screen. Pictures in 'my setup' thread in my signature, where I think you can see the pads; it's all hidden in a pelmet now which helps hide the mess.;)

I'm not sure if you have a manual or electric screen, but in my case (manual) I wouldn't be confident of fixing to the plasterboard as the action of pulling down the screen could bring the screen down. Something that's just occurred to me is that perhaps you could get in touch with your screen supplier and see if they can supply a second pair of brackets so that you can spread the load out more along the entire width of the screen. Shouldn't cost too much and possibly worth it for peace of mind (you can then enjoy the movies rather than worrying about whether your screen's going to come down!).

I'm not sure if you have a manual or electric screen, but in my case (manual) I wouldn't be confident of fixing to the plasterboard as the action of pulling down the screen could bring the screen down. Something that's just occurred to me is that perhaps you could get in touch with your screen supplier and see if they can supply a second pair of brackets so that you can spread the load out more along the entire width of the screen. Shouldn't cost too much and possibly worth it for peace of mind (you can then enjoy the movies rather than worrying about whether your screen's going to come down!).

I had thought about that too, may contact Nik at CVS and ask about this,

Thanks Jason

Morning,

Just a post to say a big thankyou to everyone who contributed to my original question,
Taking on board all suggestions I went with the extra joists being put in.
Spoke to a local joiner who fixed the joists in and also put up the screen etc.. exactly where I asked him to the millimetre.
Good nice neat job all for the sum of £30.00 :thumbsup: it was not worth getting my tools out for that, plus I am useless at DIY.

Also got a vogels wall mount (both bought from Nik at CVS, a good deal, thankyou :smashin:)

Anyway now have my screen up and what a difference it makes to the picture.

Cheers Jason

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom