Question Fixing 150inch electric screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by inonefly, Oct 29, 2017.

1. inonefly

inonefly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My screen is on the way, just want to prepare ahead as I’d like to install it as soon as it’s here - been without the projector for too long!

It’s 150 inch electric screen, approx 30kg. I plan to use the bracket supplied with the screen to fix it onto the wall. Just wondering what would be the best type of screws to use? Large dry wall screws or with wall plugs, or some heavy duty with sleeve anchors?

2. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    It depends on how the wall is built. 30Kgs is a lot to hang from just plasterboard - particularly as the screen (I'm assuming) will be a distance from the wall - the leverage would effectively increase massively on the upper fixings - with a 'pulling' moment.

Try to find some studwork to screw into. I'm assuming the brackets can be slid along the length of the enclosure somewhat. If you can find the studs, and screw into them, then all you will need are decent length woodscrews - 60mm+ size 5's should do it.

If you have to just attach to the plasterboard - then Screwfix do a huge variety of fixings.

Plasterboard Fixings | Fixings & Fasteners | Screwfix.com

I've hung heavy mirrors from just plasterboard using the metal 'screw-in' fixings - but the weight from a mirror against the wall acts straight down - very little 'pull' on the fixing. Something that's trying to pull the fixing out, like your screen, I'd probably go for the toggle bolts.

YMMV - and no responsibility accepted!:D

3. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
  4. inonefly

inonefly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cheers guys, got some rigifix m6 fixings on the way, can't wait to have it installed for the Xmas! ; D

5. slave1

slave1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Check out concrete screws, they eat other fixing bolts etc alive, they are so much better and easier to work with and come in huge variety of lengths