Fixed screen, should I go frameless or not? (bat cave)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thebatix75, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thebatix75

thebatix75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,
    I'm about to buy a fixed 2.35.1 screen for my new bat cave and I wonder if should buy one with borders or go for frameless. (es. the one in the picture).

The screen will be 2.95 cm wide circa (the wall is 3mt wide but I'm considering a little margin of space to avoid dangerous mistakes)

The entire wall, ceiling and walls sides will be painted in black matt, so I'm wondering in order to achieve more contrast, if I should add (or not) the borders because I'm liking the idea of having a full projection image on the entire wall (the speakers will be put in the back of the acoustic screen) but I don't know if a frame would help to improve the general contrast.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,466
    With a 2.35 screen, if you zoom up a 2.4 (or wider aspect) movie to fill the height, the movie will spill over the sides and onto the wall, which may be visible - black velvet is more light absorbent so a border would be useful for that.

3. thebatix75

thebatix75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry but english isn't my native tongue, so your suggestion is to go frameless and adding velvet onto the borders ? (given that adding onto the walls would be more difficult, I think)

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,466
    I think a screen with a black velvet border would be better than a borderless one, unless you want the widest image possible and the borders would mean a smaller image.

5. thebatix75

thebatix75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for the reply, the thing is 2.95 cm for a 2.35.1 is a little borderline for that aspect ratio and gaining some more image would be preferable,

Anyway with a borderless screen I think would be possible to mount two velvet panels up and down the screen fixed on the wall for the 2.40.1, right?

6. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    I wouldn't like to rely on black velvet frame border to absorb anything more than a sliver of overspill from getting the image spot-on within the frame.

My Euroscreen ReAct3 screen has their "Veltex" velvet borders and if you set up the projector so a significant amount of image is projected onto them they still get lit up quite notably (and this is in my non-ideal room).

Much better to use digital cropping either in the projector or an external video processor.

7. thebatix75

thebatix75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well such a interesting screen you have, I think its the first I saw the the velvet borders, do you have the 5cm borders per side?

8. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    Yes, it is Frame Vision Light series frame which has 5cm wide X approx 3cm deep border. The veltex is a very thin velvet material which they stick to the aluminium frame.

It gives a lovely dark contrast in my room, just don't shine lots of projector light on it and expect it to soak it up, because it doesn't.

Attached Files:

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,466
    I guess it depends on the velvet, but I don't have a problem with some overspill, though it's never going to be much, and yeah, digital cropping is always going to be a better solution if the pj has that facility (mine doesn't).