1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed screen, adjustable ratios - commercially available?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've only used DIY screens in the past, but I'm beginning to wonder if anyone makes a fixed (as opposed to roll-up) screen with fully adjustable masking for 16:9, 4:3 and various slightly differing widescreen ratios.

Maximum image width would need to be 73", and I suppose I would settle for 72" if that was a standard size.

Manual adjustment would be fine. I'd like a good-sized black border around the picture area, but I imagine that the masking mechanism would necessitate that anyway.

Can anyone point me to a possible supplier? Many thanks.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    That's certainly what I was thinking of; thanks very much for the link. I've sent for details but, as you say, I suspect the price will be pretty astronomical.

The spec sheet has given me one new idea, though. I was thinking in terms of the side masks coming in horizontally from the edges of the frame; the ones on the Stewart screen come down from the top. If all else fails and I do decide to try a DIY version, that could be a fruitful approach.

Bert

4. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've just come across this.

Surry lad ;)

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    That's a fascinating site, thanks for the link. It looks well made, doesn't it, but can the masks really be that light grey colour?

And for that price I'd want side masking, too. And an usherette with a tray of choc ices.

Bert

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bert,

Lol.... :D

If you can accomodate a fixed screen, then it isn't very difficult to install masking yourself. Have a look at my setup - fixed width, variable height masking. The all black screenwall makes a startling difference - in fact having recently replace dthe screen material, I was projecting an image without masking as part of the re-installation, and I couldn't imagine going back to projecting on a screen without the masking etc. in place.

BTW, this is extremely inexpensive to implement - the black velvet was 60" wide - 2.5 metres cost about €40 (about £26), the frames are 2x1s, I can't remember how many lengths, but no more than about £10 worth, the masks are 6mm MDF, again no great cost. It can easily be done for £50, a far cry from the cost of commercial masked screens. If you were to make a fixed screen using screen material from Harkness Hall or DRH at the same time, you could add the cost of the screen material in and it would still cost you less than £150 (at a guess) - you'd get a far superior result to a retractable screen. It does take some work to get the panels the correct size and setup the masks correctly, but it only took a Saturday to do and has worked effortlessly for the last two years, more or less.

Happy to answer any questions...

Regards,

Sean.