Fixed Gain vs HT Bypass

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jshailes, Feb 3, 2014.

1. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

If my understanding is correct, 'HT bypass' bypasses the pre amp and passes straight to the power amp (of which has no volume control).

I'm trying to understand how I'd set up the CA 740a that has Fixed Gain. From what I've read this allows a fixed volume to be set on the input from the avr preouts (rather than having to put the dial back to 12 oclock etc etc). All sounds great so far.

My question is would I need to do an initial, one-off calibration of volume between the avr and the 740a? What volume should I set the 740a to?

Thanks,

James

2. wilco1uk

wilco1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've heard the term "fixed gain" apply to both HT bypass modes and to normal line in connections (ie when you have to manually set volume each time). It does sound like it has a processor mode (in Arcam terms) / HT bypass modeWhat does the manual say?

In response to your question and if it is indeed the same as an HT bypass mode, then, yes, you will need to do a one off calibration, but should not have to adjust the volume control. If you can adjust the gain level (normally in the settings menu), then set it to full and reduce it until you don't hear any hiss from the speakers.

If its not the same as HT bypass, and it does require you to set volume each time you use it with your AVR then set it to something of a similar level to that of the AVR centre channel, and let the calibration do the rest.

3. jshailes

jshailes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your advice to RTFM, I probably should've done that before posting! :suicide:

For anyone interested the details from the manual are below.

caFixedGain.png

Attached Files:

4. wilco1uk

wilco1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yup, that's effectively a HT bypass mode. So set the gain on your chosen input to a level that doesn't hiss, then go through your AVR calibration. Job done :)