Fixed frame screen

mallard

I’m updating my home cinema and have decided to start with the screen.
I am replacing a pull down Beamax with a 2.35:1 9ft wide fixed frame Grandview.
Is there much difference in quality between the Beamax and the Grandview
And is there anything else in the same ballpark price that I should be considering.(£1k)
I don’t require an AT screen
Thanks in advance

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Take a look at the Spitfire 2.35:1 Cinemascope Series as we have a few of them at discounted prices at the moment. As for Grandview 2.35:1 Cinemascope Screens, they like Spitfire screens are great projection screens and the quality are similar too and probably a better than Beamax screens which did produce high quality budget projection screens in their day

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I do think there should be more screen reviews as most people will keep them for many years, my screen is over 10 years old and likely to stay with me for a few more years

JamesBaby

I too wish there were more screen reviews. Especially long term as the first measure of quality for me is screen flatness over time. Followed by quietness and durability of the motor.

I’m in the market for a AT screen, 3m + wide viewable.

I do think there should be more screen reviews as most people will keep them for many years, my screen is over 10 years old and likely to stay with me for a few more years

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Yes you have to hunt around to find screen reviews, but given it's quite easy to find £3k plus screens and you can't easily 'try one' at home. More reviews would be helpful. I think Seymour are the go to at the more affordable quality level as Carada no longer exist. Interesting for me to see how the Carada and Seymour compare to the Stewart 130

mallard

Well, I think I ought to report on the screen I bought seeing as I started the thread.
in the end I went for a Grandview 9ft wide 1 gain screen. Very impressed with the construction, easy to put together. I had a budget of £1k max and it came close. It is what I expected.
I‘ve added a picture

Attachments

• 71E996EA-2A3B-4753-9754-37B51C6A4D8A.jpeg
    71E996EA-2A3B-4753-9754-37B51C6A4D8A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81

JamesBaby

Well, I think I ought to report on the screen I bought seeing as I started the thread.
in the end I went for a Grandview 9ft wide 1 gain screen. Very impressed with the construction, easy to put together. I had a budget of £1k max and it came close. It is what I expected.
I‘ve added a picture

Is it AT fabric? Can you see the holes from say 3.5m and upwards? Any weave structure during movies?
Is the fabric nice and flat?
Cheers

mallard

No not AT as l didn’t want to chance being able to see the weave and not a requirement for me. I think an AT 4K screen this size would be well over my budget.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Time for some black velvet :hiya:

mallard

Time for some black velvet :hiya:
I will get round to it but have a few other more pressing jobs to sort out before I get round to the “black velvet”.
The 2.35 screen has been a huge improvement on the 16:9 screen I previously used. It was the same viewable height but the extra width makes such a difference. When watching 16:9 films etc I just zoom down. Surprisingly I find the black vertical bars either side don’t bother me.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
The 2.35 screen has been a huge improvement on the 16:9 screen I previously used. It was the same viewable height but the extra width makes such a difference. When watching 16:9 films etc I just zoom down. Surprisingly I find the black vertical bars either side don’t bother me.
I think part of the reason is that if you do the zoom method the black "pillarbox" bars don't have any light projected in them, whereas on a 16x9 screen letterboxed 2.35 content has bars that have active (but turned off) pixels in them. It's quite a significant difference.

mallard

This was all done as part of a upgrade after seeing a demo of the Jvc n5. I had a budget of 2k, (the projector will have to wait). Along with the screen I bought a Denon 2600H, Panasonic 820 and a couple of ceiling speakers.
The sound setup with the Denon is so easy and results so good. The Atmos speakers have really made a big difference as well. Added to the screen it’s made a massive difference in the experience.
I‘m still using a Jvc X3 which gives a good picture but doesn’t have the HDR, 4K ,lens memory or the 2.35 setting. This makes playing HDR 4K discs a bit underlit although the sound is a big improvement.
I would just like to add that the changes so far for £2k far outweigh getting a new projector for £6k. IMHO

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom