• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fixed ALR scope screen (reasonably budget friendly)

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
I've somehow managed to persuade my better half that a fixed projector screen in the living room is a good idea. Now I need to find the screen.

Having done a few searches on here, AVS and YouTube, I'm still not clear on what to go for. Elite Screens seem to come up over and over, but that's probably down to marketing. Also, they don't seem to have an ALR scope screen, just 16:9, and I'd far prefer to have a scope screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of decent options?

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
@beechy06 - what ALR screen is it you've got, and are you happy with its performance in your room during ambient light (I know it's not fixed)?

Also, off topic, and I may have asked this before, but how far back from your speakers do you sit and how high are they? I'm considering three in a row under an ALR screen, like yours are, but I'm concerned the sound will be too obviously coming from below the screen.

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
I've somehow managed to persuade my better half that a fixed projector screen in the living room is a good idea. Now I need to find the screen.

Having done a few searches on here, AVS and YouTube, I'm still not clear on what to go for. Elite Screens seem to come up over and over, but that's probably down to marketing. Also, they don't seem to have an ALR scope screen, just 16:9, and I'd far prefer to have a scope screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of decent options?
Try @Rickyj at Kalibrate he has his own Diverse screens and I am sure he can do you a custom fixed ALR one any size you want.

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Thanks @Russ 66. Do you have a Diverse screen/have you seen one? I've come across them being mentioned, but never heard any views on how they compare to the competition (ReAct, etc.).

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Russ 66. Do you have a Diverse screen/have you seen one? I've come across them being mentioned, but never heard any views on how they compare to the competition (ReAct, etc.).
I haven't, I have seen a sample of the ALR material and it looked good. I would contact Ricky and get a sample and quote.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Try @Rickyj at Kalibrate he has his own Diverse screens and I am sure he can do you a custom fixed ALR one any size you want.

I would agree with this, I’ve just received my scope screen from Ricky and it definitely feels a step up from the likes of Elite etc products but you do pay a bit more accordingly.

The beauty of Ricky’s product is you can custom the size and don’t have to stick with the preset sizes that Elite etc offer. In my case I went with a 112” 2.35:1 screen.

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
I would agree with this, I’ve just received my scope screen from Ricky and it definitely feels a step up from the likes of Elite etc products but you do pay a bit more accordingly.

The beauty of Ricky’s product is you can custom the size and don’t have to stick with the preset sizes that Elite etc offer. In my case I went with a 112” 2.35:1 screen.

Yea, the ability to custom spec is a big plus. I considered a Diverse screen years ago for that reason but ended up going DIY. That was in a dedicated batcave though, so I could get away with white spandex (Filmex).

112" scope is almost the same as what I'm after (110"). What throw are you using with it? Is yours an ALR screen (I see you have a dedicated room, so I guess not)?

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Another question I'm asking myself is whether an ALR screen is necessary or whether I could get away with a grey screen.

I'm 99% sure I'll need an ALR screen, as I'd want the screen to have reasonable performance under these conditions:

1600454325798.png

I'd never watch a film with ambient light like that, only TV. I'd always have the lights off for films, but with white/cream walls, I think I'd likely need an ALR screen even with the lights off.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Yea, the ability to custom spec is a big plus. I considered a Diverse screen years ago for that reason but ended up going DIY. That was in a dedicated batcave though, so I could get away with white spandex (Filmex).

112" scope is almost the same as what I'm after (110"). What throw are you using with it? Is yours an ALR screen (I see you have a dedicated room, so I guess not)?

Yeah it’s a dedicated fully treated room so not real need for an ALR but I have made the switch to a light grey screen instead of the previous white and the simple reason is to boost the contrast on the Epson which according to Ricky I will get without sacrificing colours due to the materials colour.

I have yet to build it up and mount it, just opened the box to check it out. With the Epson I will have a throw of 4m so I’m close to but not quite maximum zoom which will give me a slight boost on lumens.

Hoping to get it built over the weekend, well that was until I realised LeMans 24hr is on this weekend and I’ll be staying up for that so will try and do it during next week instead.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Another question I'm asking myself is whether an ALR screen is necessary or whether I could get away with a grey screen.

I'm 99% sure I'll need an ALR screen, as I'd want the screen to have reasonable performance under these conditions:

View attachment 1368104

I'd never watch a film with ambient light like that, only TV. I'd always have the lights off for films, but with white/cream walls, I think I'd likely need an ALR screen even with the lights off.

Based on what I’m seeing in your photo I would reckon ALR is a must but someone like Ricky could answer this better than I so if I were you I would PM him for advice.

Last edited:

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Yeah it’s a dedicated fully treated room so not real need for an ALR but I have made the switch to a light grey screen instead of the previous white and the simple reason is to boost the contrast on the Epson which according to Ricky I will get without sacrificing colours due to the materials colour.

I have yet to build it up and mount it, just opened the box to check it out. With the Epson I will have a throw of 4m so I’m close to but not quite maximum zoom which will give me a slight boost on lumens.

Hoping to get it built over the weekend, well that was until I realised LeMans 24hr is on this weekend and I’ll be staying up for that so will try and do it during next week instead.
Great - I'll keep an eye on your thread for pics!

Funnily enough, your throw's also about the same as mine (my throw would be 3.8m) and I was also thinking of going for the Epson. I had the 9300 and liked it.

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
What’s your projector?
We cross posted - see above!

I haven't bought one yet. I'm at day one of researching, having only persuaded the Mrs last night. I now have to decide on:

1. screen
2. projector
3. speakers (largely decided on those though)

I'm fairly flexible in what I go for pj-wise. I'd love to try a JVC, but I've always perceived them (perhaps wrongly) as batcave projectors with too much input lag for gaming.

I've seen a few posts that suggest the Epson works well with ALR screens given its light output, so I'm leaning towards the Epson given my positive experience with them previously.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
The new 9400 with its latest firmware update is a cracking machine, I think my images in both my own thread and my Dropbox link will show. JVCs have even better contrast but don’t have enough experience to comment on lag for gaming.

With an ALR screen you need a Lens throw distance to screen of 1.5 times the width of the screen. A 110” scope screen is 256cm wide so 3.84m throw to lens is the absolute minimum you need, preferably a bit more if you can otherwise maybe reducing the screen size a bit might be a better option.

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
That's very helpful, thanks. That would be cutting it very fine actually, so I'd probably look at a width around 240cm - so about 108" scope.

beechy06

Prominent Member
@beechy06 - what ALR screen is it you've got, and are you happy with its performance in your room during ambient light (I know it's not fixed)?

Also, off topic, and I may have asked this before, but how far back from your speakers do you sit and how high are they? I'm considering three in a row under an ALR screen, like yours are, but I'm concerned the sound will be too obviously coming from below the screen.

Hi mate, I (believe) its a Draper ReAct 3 Sesame borderless 2.4m 16x9 screen, viewing distance is just over 4m with a similar throw distance.

For day time viewing we normally watch the trusty plasma TV as this room is flooded with light with a 4m south facing window down one side, during hight of summer whilst the sun is really coming through during the day you can watch the projector but would always close the curtains at least part way. That is the real extreme end of things though and normally performance in day light is great but does get notably better as the sun goes down.

No real issues with reflections from the white ceiling too, if watching a scope film generally use the lens shift on the epson to lower the imagine to the bottom of the screen to put that extra gap from the ceiling plus lowers the viewing angle.

Overall very happy, would love a bat cave but feel this is a good compromise, the darker screen wall helps and I have contemplated painting the other walls the same colour but not sure other half would be happy with that!

Speakers are slightly further back, the centre is 4.4m, 35cm to the bottom and 50cm to the centre. I’ve never felt that this was a issue, could that be due to the MK’s dispersion characteristics or the processor i’m not so sure but always feel the dialogue etc is coming from the centre of the screen.

That mean the ATC’s are going then too? Will take some going to beat!

beechy06

Prominent Member
As an example:
3494E450-7D85-477A-8A47-1D2B3AF34ECB.jpeg

Not the best picture but you can see the difference to the picture from the ambient light on the left side of the screen to the right hand side which has ‘direct’ sunlight through corner of the curtains.

Then as a quick night time example:
38DD957A-1F4F-40BC-986E-ABCBDF23F177.jpeg

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
The React is a bloody one ALR though pricy, I believe Ricky also sells them too among other brands so he would be a good person to ask how his own ALR compares.

A treated room isn’t something everyone can do even if it’s dedicated, I was luck that my house was a new build and part of the deal was if I get MY home theatre the wife gets the kitchen she wanted.:p

beechy06

Prominent Member
A treated room isn’t something everyone can do even if it’s dedicated, I was luck that my house was a new build and part of the deal was if I get MY home theatre the wife gets the kitchen she wanted.:p
How’s that saying go again, happy wife happy life ;)

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Hi mate, I (believe) its a Draper ReAct 3 Sesame borderless 2.4m 16x9 screen, viewing distance is just over 4m with a similar throw distance.

For day time viewing we normally watch the trusty plasma TV as this room is flooded with light with a 4m south facing window down one side, during hight of summer whilst the sun is really coming through during the day you can watch the projector but would always close the curtains at least part way. That is the real extreme end of things though and normally performance in day light is great but does get notably better as the sun goes down.

No real issues with reflections from the white ceiling too, if watching a scope film generally use the lens shift on the epson to lower the imagine to the bottom of the screen to put that extra gap from the ceiling plus lowers the viewing angle.

Overall very happy, would love a bat cave but feel this is a good compromise, the darker screen wall helps and I have contemplated painting the other walls the same colour but not sure other half would be happy with that!

Speakers are slightly further back, the centre is 4.4m, 35cm to the bottom and 50cm to the centre. I’ve never felt that this was a issue, could that be due to the MK’s dispersion characteristics or the processor i’m not so sure but always feel the dialogue etc is coming from the centre of the screen.

That's amazing, thank you! I've eyed up your screen a few times as I really like the borderless look.

The fixed screen approach outlined above is based on the assumption I'll watch along the width of the room (it's 5.5m * 4m). In that case I'll build a false wall, 2.6m wide, where the TV currently is. Another approach I'm vaguely considering, is going the motorised screen route and changing the orientation of the living room, viewing along the length instead of width. There are issues with doing that that would limit speaker options, but it might work better for projection.

They're already gone! Well, I've sold all of them apart from the SCM40s, which are sold pending delivery next weekend. And yes, it will take a lot to beat them!

Long story short: we were planning to move house and I sold the ATCs to help fund some of the moving costs (and because in the new house I'd have had a dedicated HT room). The house move's fallen through so we're staying put - I now need to replace the speakers I sold!

Not 100% sure what to replace them with, but home cinema will be a priority. I'm leaning towards DIYSG HTMs if I can get them (although they wouldn't work if I reorient the living room as above). Alternatively, I might give Arendals a shot.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
If you are considering DIY speakers you REALLY need to check out IPL Acoustics in Wales, Ian is a genius with speakers and what you get for the price will astonish you...... truly.

I built his M1TLM Ribbons as my mains and AVC Pro Centre first and then added the rears later, everyone and I mean everyone who has heard the system and completely blown away by the front sound stage.

After building them I will never go back to buying mainstream speakers.

IPL Acoustics

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
If you are considering DIY speakers you REALLY need to check out IPL Acoustics in Wales, Ian is a genius with speakers and what you get for the price will astonish you...... truly.

I built his M1TLM Ribbons as my mains and AVC Pro Centre first and then added the rears later, everyone and I mean everyone who has heard the system and completely blown away by the front sound stage.

After building them I will never go back to buying mainstream speakers.

IPL Acoustics
I'll give them a look - thanks! I recall hearing good things about them.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I'll give them a look - thanks! I recall hearing good things about them.

In a home cinema speaker system the centre and sub are the most important as they handle most of the soundtrack. The ACR Pro centre is something else, the impact and clarity even impresses me and I’ve heard centres costing upwards of several times more.

If you intend to use the L&R for music use at your room size I’d reckon the S2TLM Mk3 would be the ticket.

Check out thfellow members build for inspiration

If concerned about tackling this yourself you could PM @The Alchemist as he building these for customers.

Hope this all helps.

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Hmm, OK ... I have a plan (from experience, an expensive phrase!).

I'm going to ditch the fixed screen ALR approach. @Luminated67 's point - which I hadn't realised - that they need 1.5 throw ratio - has given me second thoughts. Factoring in lens to screen distance, that would limit me to 230cm width (which equals ~98" scope). That's smaller than I want.

However, if I projected along the length of the room, factoring in a chimney breast etc. I'd have a 432cm throw, which means I could get an ALR screen up to 288cm wide, which = 123" scope. In practice, that would mean I'd be looking for a 120" scope screen. Much more like it.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom