1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fix broken SD-100 or buy a new player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Robstar, May 29, 2002.

1. Robstar

Robstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Toshiba SD-100 and at the moment it won't play any discs. It may play a small section, but after a short while it will just sit there whiring away, presumably trying to read the disc but it's unable to. I've spoken to a company about fixing it, but they want £25 just to look at it, plus parts and labour.

So, I am now wondering if it's best to buy a new player. I am looking at the Pioneer DV444 and the Toshiba SD-220 at the moment. Will I see a noticable difference from my old SD-100 in terms of sound and picture quality? I'm also unable to decide which of these two I would buy if I was to get a new one. Are there better players for a similar price?

Also, are players like the Sony DVPNS700 worth the extra money and is that one any good? I don't really want to spend much more than £225, but of course the least the better! :)

Many thanks!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have a 444 and love it, big debate between 444 and 210/220 fans, for the money it can't be beat but I would say that I bought one!

3. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba SD220, very happy with it. If you do go for one make sure it has version 1.4 of the firmware as earlier versions had a problem playing The Matrix (R2). (skipping scenes etc)

Had my player for 6 weeks and other than this small wrinkle have been impressed with the picture and sound quality.

Calum

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello,

220E is a cracking little player and as it is available in multiregion for less than the old 210E it seems a worth a demo. I have used a Pioneer 343 and that also gave fine results so 444 can only be even better. As always it's down to personal preference, but £143 for the 220 on unbeatable.co.uk must be very tempting!

Cheers

The Monkey

PS how do i check what version mine is?:)

5. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    oh well i seem to have version 1.2 :(
    perhaps i can live with it as i have neither of the 2 films mentioned (yet), and i bough my player "new" off ebay so i can only imagine problems getting it replaced with no receipt etc...
    Cheers for the info.
    Monkey