Five USA on Freesat?

pthomas

Novice Member
Hi Guys

As I understand it, Five USA can be received on a sky box with a sky free sat card.

Is there any way to receive Five USA on a PC with a SKY Freesat card?

Unfortunately the house I am moving to has no TV reception at all (Massive blackspot!) so I will be going the PC Freesat card route but do like to watch Five USA regulaly.

Any advice, comments welcomed.

Thx

You would need a PC card that can connect to a card reader and hardware or software CAM as well as an pre-activated FreesatFromSky (or cancelled subscription) card. I believe that the new Sky cards can only be activated in a Sky dodgibox plus you may also need a Sky box connected to the dish to house the card in overnight every 3 or 4 weeks for it to receive its "keep alive" signal which AFAIK it will not receive in a PC attached card reader.

pthomas

Novice Member
You would need a PC card that can connect to a card reader and hardware or software CAM as well as an pre-activated FreesatFromSky (or cancelled subscription) card. I believe that the new Sky cards can only be activated in a Sky dodgibox plus you may also need a Sky box connected to the dish to house the card in overnight every 3 or 4 weeks for it to receive its "keep alive" signal which AFAIK it will not receive in a PC attached card reader.
Why is there a need for a keepalive on a FTV card? I can understand it on a SKY card but not FTV......

What sort of cost would all the equipment be if I have a suitable PC and PCI Freesat card already?

Thx

Why is there a need for a keepalive on a FTV card? I can understand it on a SKY card but not FTV......

What sort of cost would all the equipment be if I have a suitable PC and PCI Freesat card already?

Thx
The "keep alive" looks to be an attempt to stop the cards being used in non-Sky boxes. NDS the encryption suppliers do not market a UK NDS or allow their fitment in anything other than a Sky box. This they say is to hamper "hacking" of their system as if used in say a Linux box it could make life easier for hackers to read the cards. It is exactly the same encryption system for FTV and subscription.

logiciel

I will be going the PC Freesat card route
Why not go the second hand £5 Sky+ receiver with £25 FreeSatFromSky card route?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
To do what you want is possible, but not cheap or easy.

If you read the thread here, you will see there are methods of using a Sky (smart) card with PC in order to get (legal) access to encrypted channels.

I'd love to get Channel 4 HD, which is also 'free to view', but I couldn't justify the expense.

pthomas

Novice Member
Why not go the second hand £5 Sky+ receiver with £25 FreeSatFromSky card route?
Because I will have 3 TV's around the house with PC's connected anyway for Win 7 Media Centre (300+ Movies available from server) and I would like to record TV onto the PC's as I could before (With the DVB card I have)

I am running out of inputs on my AV amp as well, so an additional unecessary box would be a pain. Plus the Sky box wouldn't do HD whereas the PC would.

win7demon

Novice Member
Heres whats needed.

DVB S2 Satellite TV Tuner with CI Module.

Duolabs Diablo Version 2.3 CAM.

CAS 3 Programmer or alternative.

Underworld 203 Firmware, 203 is the latest and fixes error reading cards.

Up and running in less than 30 mins.

Works for the new white cards, Five USA etc & C4 / Five HD in Windows 7 Media Center.

Does not require any third party programs such as DVBLink etc.

Don't forget the Viewing Card needs to be placed back in the digibox every 4 weeks overnight, to keep the card alive.

Screenshot showing channels in Media Center.

Cheers

Last edited:
Heres whats needed.

Underworld 198 Firmware, there are later versions but 198 does the job.

Works for the new white cards, Five USA etc & C4 / Five HD in Windows 7 Media Center.

Cheers
Does this setup allow reception of subscription channels (obviously with genuine subscription on card) or have you only tried it with FreesatFromSky or cancelled sub cards?

Last edited by a moderator:

win7demon

Novice Member
Does this setup allow reception of subscription channels (obviously with genuine subscription on card) or have you only tried it with FreesatFromSky or cancelled sub cards?
I'm using FreesatFromSky. As the channels are still encrypted, i see no reason that it should not work on a subscription card.

jensrow

Novice Member
I'm using FreesatFromSky. As the channels are still encrypted, i see no reason that it should not work on a subscription card.
I believe you need to keep the card 'alive' for sub channels, by putting it in a Sky box every few weeks overnight, I think a Dreambox can also do that which is why it may be a better route in that case.

fernandez

Novice Member
AFAIK even FSFS cards need to receive the 'keep alive' signal from the satellite

win7demon

Novice Member
AFAIK even FSFS cards need to receive the 'keep alive' signal from the satellite
I believe you need to keep the card 'alive' for sub channels, by putting it in a Sky box every few weeks overnight, I think a Dreambox can also do that which is why it may be a better route in that case.
Yes both Sub based and FSFS need to receive the signal.

pthomas

Novice Member
Heres whats needed.

Underworld 198 Firmware, there are later versions but 198 does the job.

Don't forget the Viewing Card needs to be placed back in the digibox every 4 weeks overnight, to keep the card alive.

Cheers
Thanks for the detailed explanation, what sort of cost would all that kit come to?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skatman

Standard Member
win7demon, do you have any idea if this would work on a Humax FoxSat PVR, can I put in a SkyFreSat card and watch the Five US as well?

win7demon

Novice Member
Thanks for the detailed explanation, what sort of cost would all that kit come to?
Off the top of my head, around £200.

win7demon

Novice Member
win7demon, do you have any idea if this would work on a Humax FoxSat PVR, can I put in a SkyFreSat card and watch the Five US as well?
According to this you can but not sure of your model.

Can I receive SKY's free channels with the Humax Foxsat HDR 320GB pvr?

Yes, if your sky subscription has ended your Sky card then becomes a Freesat card which can then be used with the Humax Foxsat HDR 320GB pvr CI-Module slot. Various retailers sell CI-modules. A CI-module will need to be purchased separately. The Freesat card will add the following FTV channels; Channel 4, Five, Five Life, Five US and Sky 3.

Source: Humax Foxsat HDR £220.00 | Freesat PVR | Satellite receivers | Digital TV Receivers

Also some more info on the Humax here:

Almost afraid to ask ... - Freesat - Digital Spy Forums

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Remember to use the CI module you have to use non-freesat mode with a hdr which means you can't record using Freesat mode while viewing nor set recording timers for non-freesat mode. It's a lot of money for a very few extra channels.

Skatman

Standard Member
According to this you can but not sure of your model.

Can I receive SKY's free channels with the Humax Foxsat HDR 320GB pvr?

Yes, if your sky subscription has ended your Sky card then becomes a Freesat card which can then be used with the Humax Foxsat HDR 320GB pvr CI-Module slot. Various retailers sell CI-modules. A CI-module will need to be purchased separately. The Freesat card will add the following FTV channels; Channel 4, Five, Five Life, Five US and Sky 3.

Source: Humax Foxsat HDR £220.00 | Freesat PVR | Satellite receivers | Digital TV Receivers

Also some more info on the Humax here:

Almost afraid to ask ... - Freesat - Digital Spy Forums

Thanks alot for the quick reply, my fears have been laid to rest. Now to get a family member in the UK to order for a free SkyFreeSat card for me, as am in Ireland. Also I understand I have to insert the FreesatCard once a month to a Sky box to get the keep alive signal.

Does the card have to be paired back to the original box it was bought from, or any active sky box will do? Anyone?

:clap:Channel 4, Five, Five Life, Five US and Sky 3.:clap: Yipppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee

Skatman

Standard Member
Remember to use the CI module you have to use non-freesat mode with a hdr which means you can't record using Freesat mode while viewing nor set recording timers for non-freesat mode. It's a lot of money for a very few extra channels.
Hi would any kind of CI module work on Humax or are there specic types required? Reason being i have found one on some auction site called Nagravision Common interface CI Cam Module.

Would this work, or are they different kinds, or specific in make?

Hi would any kind of CI module work on Humax or are there specic types required? Reason being i have found one on some auction site called Nagravision Common interface CI Cam Module.

Would this work, or are they different kinds, or specific in make?
FreesatFromSky cards will only work in the following CAM - Duolabs Diablo Version 2.3 CAM. Bear in mind also that there is no guarantee that they will continue to work as the Sky cards have software in them that has not yet been activated to counter cardsharing and use in other CAMs than the official one. The CAM can be reprogrammed with a CAS 3 Programmer or alternative.
The present version of software that works with Sky cards is Underworld 203 Firmware, there are later versions but 203 does the job. So make sure your CAM is programmed with that version of software or later that seller assures you will work with Sky cards. The CAM retails for upwards of £70 and the programmers are £65 upwards, but again no guarantees that the hackers will be able to cope with any changes Sky can make on your card or even how long it will take them. So basically £70 minimum for 7 channels with no guarantee for how long. Many people have been caught out with the last range of CAMs (Dragon and TRex) that stopped working when Sky changed the cards and the CAM programmers have never released any updated software to cope with this.

Last edited:

win7demon

Novice Member
In relation to my previous post,"http://www.avforums.com/forums/12493807-post8.html" underworld 198 has an error reading cards.

The new version Underworld 203 is the required firmware for the Diablo 2.3 CAM.

I have also updated the previous post.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett