Fitzcarraldo query

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just rented the UK Metro Tartan VHS release of Werner Herzog's acclaimed drama "FITZCARRALDO". The film's quite good, from what I've seen so far, and I'm interested in getting it on DVD. However, I've got some queries, and I was wondering if any of you kind people may be able to help out:

1) The video's sound is out of synch, but it also looks like it's been dubbed into German. (Claudia Cardinale is certainly NOT speaking German.) As such, what was the original language of the film?

2) The film is out on US DVD from Anchor Bay, but I have heard rumours that a UK Region 2 version is due out in September 2002. Anyone got any news of this?

3) The making of "Fitzcarraldo" was chronicled in another film, called "BURDEN OF DREAMS" in 1982, (ala "Hearts Of Darkness: A Film-Makers Apocalypse" for "Apocalypse Now"). Is this available on DVD at all, from anywhere in the world, with English subtitles?

4) Any chance that both "Fitzcarraldo" and "Burden Of Dreams" will be available in a double-DVD set?

Any help you folks can offer, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, as always,

Pooch

Originally posted by PoochJD
Hi,

1) The video's sound is out of synch, but it also looks like it's been dubbed into German. (Claudia Cardinale is certainly NOT speaking German.) As such, what was the original language of the film?

2) The film is out on US DVD from Anchor Bay, but I have heard rumours that a UK Region 2 version is due out in September 2002. Anyone got any news of this?

3) The making of "Fitzcarraldo" was chronicled in another film, called "BURDEN OF DREAMS" in 1982, (ala "Hearts Of Darkness: A Film-Makers Apocalypse" for "Apocalypse Now"). Is this available on DVD at all, from anywhere in the world, with English subtitles?

4) Any chance that both "Fitzcarraldo" and "Burden Of Dreams" will be available in a double-DVD set?

Any help you folks can offer, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, as always,

Pooch

1. The whole film was looped in post production anyway, but it was filmed in multiple languages (English/German) the same as Werzog's Nosferatu. My guess is Claudia Cardinale didn't speak German too well and all her dialogue was shot in English and dubbed later.

2. Anchor Bay (UK) are releasing the UK version.

3. I've never seen it available on disc.

Hi Rambo,

Thanks for the help. I guess some of the problems with the language issue, might go away, if Metro Tartan had bothered to get it in-synch with the on-screen action.

Let's hope that the UK DVD is at least the same or better quality than the US release.

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom