1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fitting speaker spikes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cosaw, May 2, 2004.

1. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Got some approx 20 year old Technics SB3050 3-way speakers. They're on wooden floor boards at the moment and rather boomy. Thing is I don't want to put spikes directly into the speakers, could I spike an mdf/chipboard square to create a platform and then sit the speaker on top of this? Would this have undesireable effects?

I would then put this spiked platform speaker arrangement on to some paving stones from Wickes or B&Q.

This is a real budget solution but I'm hoping to get an improvement over just sitting them on thick underfelt.

Any thoughts welcome.

Simon

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You could do what you describe and then bluetak the speakers to your platform. I would hope it would make a difference then on a carpet. It would still be better f you could bring yourself to screw the spikes into the speakers themselves.

POssibly also think about blocking any air ports in the speakers with a pair of socks and see if that tames your bass.

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for your advice, so what's the purpose of the bluetak? Is it merely to secure the speaker to the wood firmly or is it to stop vibrations between the adjacent faces of wood? Would rubber feet or a thin filet of rubber sheet or rubber underfelt be better or should the point of contact surface area be as small as possible?

I know what you're saying, it's just that they're my late fathers and I know he wouldn't relish the idea of me taking power tools to his speakers. Besides I've had limited success in the past when securing fixings to chipboard type material and wouldn't want to botch the job. :blush:

Yes, actually the speakers aren't ported, I don't mind how much bass the speakers produce - after all I can turn that down on my amp, it's just keeping it localised within the speaker and preventing unwanted acoustic effects like my front room floor becoming one giant sub. :)

Simon

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It is for both stabalising the platform and for reducing any vibration. I dont know about using feet or rubber matting but neither would keep the speaker as firmly on the wood platter.

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I've just damaged one of the woofers today, the foam mount of the woofer had obviously perished over the years and the woofer has dislocated itself from its mounting in places. The cone itself is fine. You may see a post soon concerning this. :blush:

Thanks again,

Simon

6. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry to hear the bad news about your speakers.

Incase you're still interested or anyone else, I've had good success with blue tacking Russ Andrew's Oak cones under my floor standing speakers.

marc

7. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19