Fitting more RAM during warranty period

craig777

Bit of advice wanted if poss.

If I were to buy a laptop, then in a few months decide to upgrade the RAM myself, would I void the warranty in doing so? Does extra RAM have to be installed by an authorised seller/dealer during the warranty period?

Thanks.

treacle

I would think any unauthorised alteration to original specification, would void the warranty.

herbs

Generally laptops have a slot for memory underneath, which involves removing a screw and installing the memory. Unless there is a warranty sticker where the screw is then they would have no way to tell you have opened it unless your thread the screw head. Also I doubt that doing this voids the warranty.

S

stratagem

Usually, laptops have a removable cover for RAM, if this has no warranty seal and no warning against it in the documents you could reasonably assume it to be user accessible much like the battery.

That said, laptops usually come with 2 strips of RAM, meaning you can't just add a strip, you have to replace both, better therfore to buy it with the the RAM you want in place.

craig777

Generally laptops have a slot for memory underneath, which involves removing a screw and installing the memory. Unless there is a warranty sticker where the screw is then they would have no way to tell you have opened it unless your thread the screw head. Also I doubt that doing this voids the warranty.

This is what I was thinking.

I would of thought that opening a RAM flap was not seen as opening the actual laptop up, which of course would void a warranty.

Incase you're wondering why I'm asking this question... I need a laptop pretty quickly, but the model that I want/can afford, only has 512mb of RAM. So in a few months when funds allow, I was thinking of adding some extra RAM myself.

S

stratagem

As above, you''ll probably find it's 2 x 256, meaning you'll need to buy 2 x 512, so it'll cost you more than it could, but if it gets you where you need to be, fine.

craig777

That said, laptops usually come with 2 strips of RAM, meaning you can't just add a strip, you have to replace both, better therfore to buy it with the the RAM you want in place.

I'm planning on a Lenovo laptop, which states in the specs that 1x512mb is installed, so I was presuming that it was just a case of popping in another 512mb strip?

Accylad

Distinguished Member
I'm planning on a Lenovo laptop, which states in the specs that 1x512mb is installed, so I was presuming that it was just a case of popping in another 512mb strip?

I have just got a Lenovo laptop with 512mb ram. It came as one strip and the laptop has one other empty socket which is located on the underside and took me all of 30 seconds to fit an extra 512mb :smashin:

craig777

I have just got a Lenovo laptop with 512mb ram. It came as one strip and the laptop has one other empty socket which is located on the underside and took me all of 30 seconds to fit an extra 512mb :smashin:

Thanks for that.

Out of interest, where did you get your extra RAM from?

craig777

Fired an email off to 'laptopsdirect' earlier and asked them about this subject. They confirmed that I would void the warranty if I fitted the RAM myself.

Accylad

Distinguished Member
Fired an email off to 'laptopsdirect' earlier and asked them about this subject. They confirmed that I would void the warranty if I fitted the RAM myself.

Rubbish - if that was so why do Lenovo include the instructions on how to upgrade the ram with the laptop?????????????

Fitting the ram is just a case of unscrewing one screw, placing the ram into the socket and putting the screw back in :thumbsup:

craig777

Rubbish - if that was so why do Lenovo include the instructions on how to upgrade the ram with the laptop?????????????

Fitting the ram is just a case of unscrewing one screw, placing the ram into the socket and putting the screw back in :thumbsup:

My thoughts precisely.

I've found the same laptop slightly cheaper at dabs.com so I'll be ordering from them, may get the extra RAM at the same time.

:thumbsup:

Accylad

Distinguished Member
I went for the Lenovo brand upgrade - I know it's a bit more money but I thought it was worth it as I was buying a new laptop - enjoy :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom