Question Fitting in-wall speakers in a ceiling

Steve Stifler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos (5.1.2 or 5.1.4). I have two sets of speakers (not in use at the same time!). Currently I have MK Sound S150s for the listener level. I'm thinking of getting MK Sound IW85 (in-walls). IW85s do not come with a backing box, they are just speakers on a plate. Apparently they are designed more for American homes that predominantly. l have stud walls and drywall. My ceiling is plasterboard.

See MK link:

http://mkloudspeakers.com/pdf/MK-In-Wall-Speakers.pdf

As they will be in a roof space, there will be loft insulation around them. Is there anything else I should be doing, like packing insulation around them, or try to box them in?

The alternative for me is to revert to a PMC Twenty speaker system that's currently in storage, and utilise an existing pair of on-wall Wafer 1s for the ceiling, as these have their own cabinet.

Grateful for advice on the IW85, and its is better to stick with PMC/Wafer set up?

Being in-wall speakers, means that they should be mounted on what is known as an infinite baffle. If you are using them as surrounds only, they'll adapt to being in the ceiling fine. The only caveat being, that there may be extraneous reflections if they are mounted tightly in the corner between wall and ceiling although for surrounds even this is probably unlikely.

Agreed, as long as the ceiling is capable of supporting them. In-Ceiling and In-Wall, generally, mount the same, but the In-Wall are a bit heavier. Typically there are 'ears' or tabs the spin out and trap the wall/ceiling between the speaker frame and the ears. When you tighten the screws, the ears/tabs clamp down on the wall/ceiling to hold the speakers in place.

So, not knowing the specific speakers, and generally knowing that In-Wall are a bit larger and heavier, as long as you are confident that the ceiling can support the weight, you should have no problem.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom