• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fitting garden tap

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Always annoyed me that there is none. It would be handy for washing down decking and our bicycles. Any idea how much would that cost me to be done? (not by me, I don't want anything to do with plumbing)

One thing to note is that all of our 3 toilets / bathrooms, and kitchen are all on the other side of the house.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
It can be done without much cost.

Wickes Easy Fit Outside Tap Kit | Wickes.co.uk

Please note this used as example and other kits are available.
Thanks, but as mentioned I have no plans to be messing around with water supply on my own. I have no idea how to go about it anyway. The kitchen and the nearest sink is in the front of the house (same as all the bathrooms). There are no water supply pipes on that side of the house as far as I can see. It looks like a pipe would have to be fitted to go from kitchen, through livingroom (inside of walls I presume), all the way to the back of the house.

aVdub

Banned
Thanks, but as mentioned I have no plans to be messing around with water supply on my own. I have no idea how to go about it anyway. The kitchen and the nearest sink is in the front of the house (same as all the bathrooms). There are no water supply pipes on that side of the house as far as I can see. It looks like a pipe would have to be fitted to go from kitchen, through livingroom (inside of walls I presume), all the way to the back of the house.

Could run lagged piping around the house?

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
This very bad drawing shows the rough plan of the 1st floor / garden

Oh and I have neighbours on both sides (terraced house).

z8X6LRr.jpg

IronGiant

Mount the tap on the side wall next to the kitchen and mount a large hose reel next to it to reach the back garden.

Ooops, missed it was terraced .... perhaps not, you added it :)

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Sometimes floors are hollow underneath, even if they sound like concrete.

I'd try to look into that to see if it's feasible.

Failing that, drop a pipe down from the loft.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Sometimes there is, if there isn't then there's usually a water supply in the airing cupboard which means it can enter the loft very easily.

IronGiant

Interim solution, large rainwater butt in the back garden fed from your roof. Then you can put a water butt pump in it. Should it ever run dry (being as you are in Scotland), then you can run a hose from the kitchen tap out the back door intermittently to keep it topped up.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Interim solution, large rainwater butt in the back garden fed from your roof. Then you can put a water butt pump in it. Should it ever run dry (being as you are in Scotland), then you can run a hose from the kitchen tap out the back door intermittently to keep it topped up.
I doubt it would ever run dry ;) and I have thought about it before (I was very close from buying one when they had them in Aldi). The only thing that stops me is how ugly they look... plus how quickly a pressure washer can go through a full butt.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I did think about a water butt. It's surprising how dirty the water is, even if you fill it up from a tap.

Great for watering plants though.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Looks like I'm stuck with the useless manual water sprayer to wash my bikes, which is more suited for watering plants than cleaning things :(

9S8fJs9.jpg

aVdub

Banned
Looks like I'm stuck with the useless manual water sprayer to wash my bikes, which is more suited for watering plants than cleaning things :(

9S8fJs9.jpg

You could still run a hose through the house when needed though couldn't you and out to the rear garden.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
You could still run a hose through the house when needed though couldn't you and out to the rear garden.
Oh no, no way. Running a hose from the kitchen, all the way through living room, to the garden, sounds like accident waiting to happen.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
An old problem I know, but given very recent advances, may I suggest you look into the new WaterFi Standard to resolve your issue of water transmission?

c9e970686ed1220879cf208dd53b0be2.png

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Did you ever get a satisfactory solution?
Is there a water supply in the loft?
You have only kitchen and toilet on the ground floor, presumably there is a bathroom on the first floor which may be fed from mains, but also may be fed from a cold-water storage tank in the loft. It would be quite easy to take a feed from there and drop down the back outside wall.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Did you ever get a satisfactory solution?You have only kitchen and toilet on the ground floor, presumably there is a bathroom on the first floor which may be fed from mains, but also may be fed from a cold-water storage tank in the loft. It would be quite easy to take a feed from there and drop down the back outside wall.
I have not. Most likely we will be moving, so no point investing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom