1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Ceiling screen !! Need help !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lexeus, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just bought a Sony HS10 and a PSWWP003 'Projecta' 6ft manual wall/ceiling mountable screen from the forums and am trying to mount it.

where i want it, I can only put it on the ceiling
    Now the screen apparently ways only 3.3Kg but seems pretty hefty. It has 2 mounting holes at each end, now the question is, will plasterboard be able to support this if i just screw it into the ceiling ? or will the whole ceiling come down when i pull the screen down?

I have marked on my bedroom ceiling where i want the screen fixed, and measured the approxomate position. Unfortunately when i went in the attic I found that that area had chipboard tpye stuff covering it and cant be lifted up because a large beam is running over it which is part of our water tank support, so it cant be moved.
    This just a platform type of thing though, and rests on the joists, so cant really be screwed into (big gap between this and ceiling)

So the question is, can i just screw it into the ceiling where I have markjed it? If i just screw into the plasterboard I shouldnt hit any pipes/wires right ?

The alternative is bringing the screen about 0.5, away from the wall/wardrobe where i can actually see there is a joist running in the ceiling, which really isnt any good since there is onyl about a 3.5m distance to start with.

Any suggestions or sites relevant to this?

Thanks for ANY advice !! :)

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I really wouldn't risk just screwing into the plasterboard!!!

There is a lot of resistance and movement every time you put the screen in and out of its casing and eventually the plasterboard will liekely give way.

I would either got for the joist or put some bracing above the ceiling in the position you want the screen so you have something solid you can bite into.

3. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just screwing into the plasterboard is a definite no !

You could buy some "RediDrivas" at B&Q or Screwfix, these have a coarse thread for fixing to plasterboard, a normal screw then screws into the RediDriva - this solution is better, but, still not ideal.

If you could slide two pieces of wood in above the plasterboard, then screw through the plasterboard and the wood, this would spread the load over a greater area of ceiling.

Best Regards,

Stan.

4. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MacReady, thats what i originally intended to do, but as i said there is a board, which i can't move, in the way so no way to put some wood in.

sjb, I have some of, i think thesem which I was going to use:

http://www.diynot.com/shop/EASY_DRIVA/4084

they are designed for plasterboard.

What if the two screws on the one side are in a joist and the the two on the other in the plasterboard with those platic fittings ?

what you think ? :rolleyes:

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Ahh, sorry...didn't realise what you meant before.

I think that as long as the screen is attached into the joist at both ends then you wont really have a problem with it but I am not sure if you mean having one end in the joist and one just in plasterboard.

6. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Those EASY DRIVAS look fine.

If one end of the screen is fixed to a joist, it should be pretty secure.

Holding the other end with the easy drivas should be okay, it sounds like you don't really have any other options anyway!

If it was my screen, I'd go for it !

Best Regards,

Stan.

7. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You could screw a piece of batton to the ceiling using wood screws into the ceiling joists. The screen could then be screwed to the batton with wood screws.

Regards,

Steve

8. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    lol, OMG, how did i not think of that lol, so simple.
    Thanks alot sijones :)

off to b&Q this morning me thinks.

no better time to do a bit of DIY than 8 in the morning after a 12 hour night shift :D

will let you know how i get on ;)

edit, just realised this will only work in one of the places i was thinking of putting it, so suppose even better as now i got nothing to decide on! :)