Fitting a Skybox myself

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gers1978, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I just got SkyHD, and already had multiroom. By my reckoning that'll use 3 sockets/ports on the LNB. I think there's 4 on it.

Would it be possible/easy to run cable from it into my son's room's, and hook up a spare Digibox? With no Sky card, would he still get BBC1, 2, 3, ITV, etc?

Where would be a good place to buy the cable?

Cheers

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    You won't get CH4/CH5...you need to buy a "Freesat" card from Sky for a £20one-off payment.
    Most of the large D-I-Y stores or Maplins sell low-loss double-screened coax satellite cable.

3. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Excellent - so will that cable have fittings on both ends? (So all I'll need to do is plug one end into the LNB and one into the Digibox?)

Are these FreeSat cards available officially from Sky?

Is there a full list of channels I'll get with and without this card?

Cheers

4. alternate

alternate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get ready made cables but usually small lengths for indoor use.

Just get yourself some screw on F-plugs. You will also want a rubber boot or self-amalgamating tape for water proofing.

5. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I's really prefer not to wire the cable myself, I have a bad history of fitting TV cables and I don't want to do it wrong!

Surely I can get the cable long enough from SOMEWHERE on the net? I only need about 5m.

Is the cable the same both ends? I.e. is the bit that goes into the LNB the exact same connection as the bit that goes into the Sky Digibox?

I already have self amalgamating tape.

Cheers

6. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  7. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Have a look here.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm

sorry message crossed!

8. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  9. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Sorry to bother you again guys, but I'm almost good to go and want to double check everything:

1) My local electronic shop is supplying me with 10m of low-loss double screened satellite cable with 2 male F-plugs already fitted, and some self amalgamating tape. I'll get this today.

2) My Sky dish's LNB has 1 spare port (presumably I have a quad LNB since I have Sky HD downstairs (2 inputs) and regular multi-room Digibox upstairs (1 input). I'm guessing I just fit one end of my cable into the spare port on the LNB, and wrap self amalgamating tape round it?

3) I'll run the cable and bring it in through my wall, sealing the hole with general purpose silicon sealant?

4) I'll fit the other end into my spare Digibox (no Sky card) and pick up BBC1, BBC2, etc. If need be I can buy a FreeSAT card from Sky for about £20 and get channel 4, channel 5, etc?

Sound right so far?

Once all wired up is there any setting up I need to do on the Digibox, etc?

Anything to watch out for?

Thanks for all your help?

10. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    You really need to unscrew the "f" connector from one end to pass the cable through the hole in the wall.

11. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Yes, I'll do that (or drill a bigger hole!) - I presume it's easy enough to screw back on?

12. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    When fitting the cable to the lnb ensure that you do not move the dish, the connector should be slightly more than finger tight.

Once cabled up merely plug and play. When switched on without a Freesat card, channels 101 to 103 will default to BBC1 London, BBC2 England and ITV West Midlands. To change these merely insert one of your other viewing cards into the box before switching on and the box will use your own locallised settings, the box will remember these settings (without a card) until the mains power is switched off - switching to standby shouldn't affect it. If it does get switched off and lose these settings merely put a card back in and power reset.

13. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
  14. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Well that was easy! I haven't drilled the hole yet, but I've wired it all up and just ran the cable in through the window to test it, and it all works fine.

Thanks for the tip on the local settings, I'll do that (I'm in Scotland).

Anyone know the full list of channels available with/without a FreeSat card? Without, I seem to get anything by BBC or ITV, and that's it.

Also I'm SURE it's my imagination and being paranoid, but I'm convinced since I've done this that the picture on my HD box downstairs has got very slightly worse on HD broadcasts (and yes, they WERE HD broadcasts I looked at, not upscales).

I checked the Line strength and quality on the HD box, and for both inputs strength is 3/4 full and quality is about half full. Again, it's probably my imagination but I thought they were higher than that for the downstairs HD box before I started this today.

The box I fitted and the multiroom box upstairs all have pretty high quality/strength signals.

15. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    The weight of the additional cable may have caused the lnb arm on the dish to sag ( a very common problem), try pushing the arm slightly upwards whilst someone is watching the signal quality levels , if it improves mark the present setting with a felt tip pen or tippex, loosen the bolts on dish elevation setting and move upwards slightly. Otherwise check the "Skew" of the lnb (how much it is twisted from vertical in its collar). There is almost a scale on it somewhere reading 1 to 5, for west Scotland set on 3 for east Scotland set one notch more vertical - again try this with someone watching quality level on TV.

16. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
  17. gers1978

gers1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm wondering why a) my other 2 sky boxes have excellent strength & quality, considering they all come from the same LNB and b) I got it slightly wrong earlier. My 2 inputs on the HD box actually have nearly full strngth, but just over half quality (input 1 is slightly higher quality than 2).

My HD broadcasts look almost "grainy". Don't get me wrong, it's not blatantly obvious, the picture is still what I'd call very very high quality (you can tell it's HD), it just looks a little "graininer" than it did the 1st few days i got HD.

I'd be surprised if the little work I did at the dish affected it - surely even moderate breezes/wind would be worse?