1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting a projector and screen into a room.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MerMan, Aug 18, 2002.

1. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There doesn't seem much point to this post except to share with others how I've decided to fit a projector and screen into my home. This may help others in a similar situation and if anyone else has done something like this before I would appreciate any advice.

The room where the equipment needs to go is in the lounge which is used on a daily basis. Therefore minimum disruption and discretion is required. In fact the deisgn criteria is "the look of the lounge must be maintained when the projector is not in use".

Easier said than done as I'm sure you will all agree.

THE SCREEN - Draper Luma 80" (92"diagonal) Manual

Siting the screen was straightforward. The lounge has a bay window and the main seating position is located directly opposite. The front speakers are already located here. The dimensions of the bay window are 98"W x 81"H x 40"D. Curtains have been ordered and the screen will be located between the curtains and the pelmet. Eye-screws and S-hooks will be used to fix the screen to the ceiling. The screen has 12 inches of black material which will be used to bring the position of the screen down below the pelmet. If blackout lining is needed this will be either attached via velcro or hung on the curtain rail.

When not in use the screen will not be visible behind the pelmet so that fits in with the design criteria :)

So far so good.

THE PROJECTOR - Epson EMP-TW100

This part is proving not to be straightforward. Several options have already been tried like Sitting the projector on a table in front of the main seating position and on a shelf above the seating position. Both of these proved not to be ideal in practice and obviously ceiling mounting is out of the question.

A mirror currently hangs above the seating position. It would be ideal if the projector could sit behind the mirror and the mirror could slide out of place when using the projector and slide back into position when not in use.

There are two ways I've thought of mounting the projector. One is to cut away the gyproc on the lounge side and then when not in use the projector would lie flat against the wall being raised on some kind of mount when in use. The second method would be to build an alcove and sit the projector in that permanently.

The decision is to go the alcove route for simplicity during use reasons. This will mean cutting a hole all the way through to the garage and to start off a hole whas been drilled from the lounge side where the lens needs to be all the way through to the garage which gives a point of reference.

All work will be carried out on the garage side for as long as possible. I will tackle most of the work myself.

The last thing to do will be to find a way to fix the mirror to the wall that allows it to slide easily.

Design criteria met, everyone happy....a bit to go yet :)

Regards

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi MerMan

I am not sure if this is such a good idea, I have found that the screen needs to be as solid as possible with manual pull down screens.
    How do do you get on with pulling it down and then retracting it?

I love the idea of having your pj in an alcove, this could meen having almost no fan noise from your pj :)
    Have you thought about fitting some heavy duty hinges to your mirror instead of runners?
    If you use runners they will probably have to be on show all the time.
    Would it not be better to fit some good quality brackets to the mirror and remove it when big screen viewing.

3. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The arrangement seems to work fine for the screen. There is little movement when pulling down/retracting. The screws are through a sheet of gyproc and then wood that is directly on top of the gyproc. The Draper screen as a hole designed for an s-hook so it does sit well.

I had thought about piano hinges for the mirror but think it would be difficult to fix them to a gyproc wall and the mirror is rather large. Brackets sound like an option given that it would be easier to hang than trying to locate a pieve or string on a hook (if that is what you meant?).

Regards

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yep.. thats what I meant :)

5. penfold

penfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merman,
    interesting project you've got there. All my (NON-disreet!) kit is in the lounge as well. Potential girlfriends walk in and the look on their faces says it all ie "Er...we're not going to talk much, are we?!":D

Anyway, I was just wondering how you plan to handle the audio side. I assume you/significant other etc isn't going to be happy surrounded with cone-packed floorstanding monsters and a sub the size of the fireplace? Are you going the Bose route or something?

cheers,
    Dan.

6. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thats sound ok....or do you mean they're just going to listen :D

At the moment I have Dynaudio Contour MkII floor standing speakers which are located in the bay window. They are cherry wood and look ok. The centre is actually located out of view in a cupboard that the TV sits on. This cupboard can be wheeled into the bay window when necessary. That is how I have been watching DVD's up till now. When using the projector I can just lift the centre speaker out and sit it on a stand in the middle.

The rears are wall mouted (Misson Bi-Polars). They look ok.

All cables for the speakers are routed behind skirting and then just pop out at the speaker. Where necessary the speaker cable was painted the same colour as the walls.

To be honest I want the lounge to look like the lounge whenever not in use. I suppose the idea is to make as few compromises as possible.

I'm building the projector alcove tomorrow. Made a few key design decisions and will not fully box in until satisfied thats its all going to work. Fingers crossed.

Then I need to buy the cables.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Some photo's would be good :) any chance?

8. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pictures will be taken as work progresses and I'll publish them in a few days time.....fingers still crossed

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'm in the process of moving, and so hopefully get my first proper crack at this cinema lark. Similar requirements as Mer.

But our lounge is rectangular, with no bays. Windows along one long side and a fireplace with 'lovely' stone cladding. Now this is the logical focal point of the room, so I'm a bit unsure where to put the TV/screen for projector.

I could put the screen and TV at the opposite end of the room, but then the seats won't be pointing at it.

Or I could block up the fire and put the TV in the corner/screen on chimney breast.

10. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the room wide enough so that the a screen could put in front of the window in a similar arrangement to what I'm doing.

TV then goes in the corner (the traditional place for tvs....mine is too!).

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    19x14, so I'd prefer the screen on a narrow wall, but it could go over a window (using your patented pelmet principle!). I was going to get blackout rollerblinds for the windows anyway.

Just not sure if the viewing distance will be too short (around 11ft)?

12. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard

With regards to screen size I wouldnt say that the biggest size is always the best. I have an 80" wide screen viewing from around 160" (almost twice the distance). To be honest I have found the images especially on non-anamorphoc images over-powering but I am going to tinker with the height of the screen. At 11' you would probably get away with a 6ft screen. That maybe more than enough for you.

Perhaps some other can other advice on a 6ft screen size.

13. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The project is moving along nicely and when finally complete I'll post some pictures to show the kind of work carried out.
    The current task I'm stuck with is fitting the mirror onto the wall in such a way that it can slide out of the way to reveal the projector and then slide back in place when not finished. The main reasons it needs to slide is a sofa sits in front of the wall and the mirror is very heavy.

I phoned around a number of local places and there doesn't seem to be anything already pre-made. So, putting my thinking cap on I've come up with the following idea which uses two pieces of wood that interlock together. The following illustration should give an idea as to what is being attempted. I am being told that the part in black cannot be routed because of the overhang. Has anyone any other ideas?

Regards

==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========

14. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to rout the black part, but you will have to do it with two cutters.

The first would be a straight cutter to give you a slot down the centre

The second cut would be (I have forgotten the correct term) the one that cuts into the black bit to create the overhang. The first cut will allow the second cutter access.

Depending on your router, cutters and workpiece dimensions both cuts may take more than one pass to achieve the correct size, but it can be done in two stages.

CUT 1 using a straight cutter

==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ===######
    ===######
    ===######
    ===######
    ===######
    ===######
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========

CUT 2 using a rebate cutter. Repeat the other side.

==========
    ==========
    ===##=====
    ===##=====
    ===##=====
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ===
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========
    ==========

15. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Mike. Not owing a router I now need to find someone who can do the work.

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    MerMan

Could you not addapt some heavy duty drawer runners? you would then only need a clip to hold it in the up position.

17. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mirror is 45 inches wide and needs to be moved between 23-27 inches. The longest drawer runners I've seen are 19 inches which was so so close but no cigar!!

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes but what hight is the mirror? Maybe you could addapt it to slide down and have a clip for holding it in the up position.

Just a thought :)