1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting a processor into my system

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by NinjaKi11a, Sep 28, 2003.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently upgrading my hifi to an av system. About the only way to do this seems to be by getting a Yamaha DSP-E800, which I've found on-line for £250 I've read the reviews etc, but I'm still unsure about how a processor integrates into the system. I want to get a Pioneer 565 DVD player, but how would this be connected? Would an optical/coaxial cable run for DVD player to processor, then then front right and left analogue signals be sent from the processor to the amp? Wouldn't this affect the quality of the front channels? Alternatively am I supposed to run the front left and right analogue from the DVD player straight into the amp, with the rest going to the processor? If this is the case, how will Sky, Sky+ and my X-box (which I intend to have surround sound with some Ixos cables) fit into all this?

Help would be much appreciated because I'm a bit confused and the guy at Richer Sounds who I phoned seemed to be as clueless as me! (Not that I'm knocking Mr Richer and his Krazy prices ;) )

Thanks

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on. Left & Right pre-outs from the Yamaha into your integrated (ideally directly into poweramp input; Arcam processor switch or Audiolab Pre-Power AV switch) DVD player digital to the Yamaha. Any other Pro-Logic/Multi-channel device into the Yamaha (VCR, PSX, Sat box) and any stereo only device into the integrated (CD, Minidisc, tuner)

The Yamaha is not a pure processor, it's a AV Pre-amp & amplifier- as it has amps for the centre & rears. A true AV Pre-amp is something like the Tag AV32R, Lexicon MC-12 etc (no amp stages)

Since the Yamaha is obselate, you might want to consider a AV amp- similar price but will have Pro-Logic II and the newer formats. You won't use the Left/Right channels, but it'll be newer. Although maybe use Left/Right and use a set of speakers in another room (set to stereo)

3. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see. Thank you very much for your advice!

For no explainable reason, I'm abit reluctant to have two amps sitting there. Do you know if there are any plans for an updated Yamaha or something similar? Alternatively how much am I going to have to spend to get a similar stereo sound quality out of an AV amp as I am now getting out of my NAD C370? (And incidentally how much do you reckon I could get for the NAD?)

Thanks again.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nope, no such plan AFAIK. The only alternative is an AV preamp/processor - but they will cost you much more. Then again you do need the additional amplification for AV use, so it's either a unit like the Yamaha or an AV preamp/processor plus power amps (in which case you would most likely ditch the NAD).

Alternatively you can use any AV amp/receiver with (front) pre-outs instead of the mentioned Yamaha if you want up-to-date features (say, DPL II). The two front channels of such an amp/receiver would not be used then.

That's IMHO difficult to define in terms of money and might depent on your preferences and expectations. Though I am sure it will be much more. :D

5. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great stuff... ok I think I'm finally sorted on what I'm gonna get. Would you fellas mind running an eye over it and pointing out any potential problems.

I already have: Marantz CD6000KI, Nad C370, Quad 11L (front), Quad (centre), Mission 771e (rear), Toshiba 36ZD26P

I intend to add: Pioneer DVD-565A, Yamaha DSP-AX640E, MJ Acoustics Reference 100

Connections: Front pre-outs on av amp to Nad; Component between DVD and TV; coaxial between DVD and av amp.

Sorry, I know it's a bit much to ask, but I'd be interested to hear any feedback. I'm particulalry interested in any weaknesses in the system. It doesn't seem worth spending more on an av amp if it is only powering the Missions while the front is coming from a separate amp altogether. Likewise, the 'budget' sub appears to be a suitable choice bearing in mind the 'cheaper' av amp. What do the think please?

Cheers,

Pete

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    I’m in the same boat I wanted a processor with amplification for centre and rear but the Yamaha 800 is getting long in the tooth and does not have many of the more recent surround formats. I have asked Yamaha if they intend to upgrade it but as I was told we are the only market for this type of AV equipment, and they have no plans. I will have to go the multi channel route but not use it for the front two speakers but my present amps.