Fitting a new shower... Please no laughter

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, first off, please no laughter at what is likely a stupid question. I have absolutely no knowledge of plumbing. I hope I can trust you.

So, basically I'm moving house. Nice little new build with lots of nice finishes... Apart from the shower in the ensuite which is a plastic horror show. It keeps me up at nights just thinking on it.

One of my first jobs when I move in then (after finding a plumber...) is to replace the shower. Obviously I really don't want to redo or ruin the existing tiling. Am I right please in thinking that the "holes" in the tiling where the hot and cold water supply comes out, and the fixing for the bracket which hold the shower holder are relatively standard? Do I basically just need to measure that the distances to see if the new shower "fits" with the existing work and go from there?

I've put a picture below showing the general configuration, two separate outs for cold/hot and the wall fixing so three "holes" in total. I can't find a picture of the current shower even with the keywords of cheap rubbish.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Sorry, was a bit short of time earlier. Assuming it’s a mixer bar shower then the centres are a standard fit (can’t remember what though - 160mm maybe?). I just replaced ours and just got one off Amazon. Very easy job, use a bit of PTFE tape to seal the threads if they are not plastic.

Sorry, was a bit short of time earlier. Assuming it’s a mixer bar shower then the centres are a standard fit (can’t remember what though - 160mm maybe?). I just replaced ours and just got one off Amazon. Very easy job, use a bit of PTFE tape to seal the threads if they are not plastic.
Outstanding. Thank you, I'm grateful for your time.

Just to add to this, the shower that I fitted had adjustment to get level, but could also make the centers for the pipes closer together or further away.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom