1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting A JVC KD-G611 to Peugeot 309

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by monkeymax, Apr 20, 2005.

1. monkeymax

monkeymax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, after some advice/guidance/experience!

I've got an old Peugeot 309 (1991) and it still has the original factory installed headunit and speakers. Unfortunately, it seems the headunit is finally on it's way out, after squeaking, popping and crackling on front and rear passenger side speakers for the past couple of weeks (rather irritating) it now actually often doesn't give out any sound out of that side as well. Definately time for a change.

My situation is this: I have a Creative Zen MP3 player I connect to it via a (not very good at all) cassette tape adapter thingy. I'd like to keep using the Zen whatever H/U I get. I've also got quite a few MP3 CDs, so a MP3 CD player would definately be a plus.
    Car is old, so noise is high, especially when on motorway. Therefore, need a little volume, but not excessive. Let's face it the factory kit was sufficient in this respect so replacement has to match that.
    H/U Budget, around £150. If that. The lower the better obviously as I'm still a student. Also, given how much I paid for the car any H/U I buy will be more valuable than the car, I don't want it to become a thief magnet, at all.

With this in mind I found several H/Us, but liked the following two in particular because of the front aux-in socket - very useful...:

1) Aiwa CDC-R504MP (http://www.eu.aiwa.com/en/productnew.php?name=cdc-r504mp)
    Well, fulfils my requirements. Was the first one I saw that did that. Can be bought from Argos for £110. So well within budget.

2) JVC KD-G611
    (http://www.jvcmobile.co.uk/prod_detail.asp?action=&prod_area=mobile&prod_id=77&sub_cat_id=1)
    Same as Aiwa above. However, when I first saw it, fell in love with looks, and after playing with both in Halfords and reading manuals of both, find I prefer this one a little... In fact I was almost ready to buy this when I saw that it's RMS power output was only 19W (not too powerful, particularly when compared to the apparent Aiwa RMS of 26W though the manual doesn't confirm this) while the peak output is 4x50W (which should be sufficient). Found this for £113 at Pixmania.

So... basically... can anyone give pros/cons of either? Is 19W RMS sufficient to drive 4 speakers? Granted this will be sufficient for factory speakers but when I replace them? I really don't want to get an amp.
    Does anyone have any alternative H/Us perhaps? I'd consider rear aux input, though my car doesn't have much room for the cable that'd come from the rear of the unit, so front input seems more convenient.

-Speakers is another issue - my car currently has 12cm, according to Halfords guy I should replace with 13cm. So I'm getting components for the front and two way for the back... next month. However, I'd really, really appreciate it if someone could help explain how I match speaker power with amp power outputs... I've gotten so confused about this part particularly! If I bought above H/Us, would 140W speakers be good?

Sorry about all the questions. Sorry about the length. And thanks very much in advance for your help.

-Max

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This is a little scary!

Your name is monkeymax, you are a student and you drive a 1991 309 that is noisy and you want a new HU.

This time last year i was a student and i drove a 1991 309 GLD!

I had a nice Kenwood MP3 HU, set of kenwood 12cm in the front, Pioneer 12cm in the back and some 6x9 in the shelf. (yes, all worth more than the car!)

If you only want to run a couple of sets of speakers, then just buy a headunit and run them. speaker watt ratings are best to be taken with a handful of salt!

My HU rated at 4x50W happily droves 3 pairs of speakers and still is in my new car. Previous sony headunit happyily drove the same setup and that was less powered. Most HUs that you'll be looking at will be plenty powerful enough for you needs.

I can't help on the Zen bi, but maybe a HU with a line in input on the front or back would be start, there a more IPOD ready HU coming onto the market as well as adapters for the CD-Changer socket on the back.....

Components def the best way, nice to have a car you don't mind cutting holes in for tweeters etc!

I presume you've had a look at offers on places like:

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk

www.bassjunkies.com

etc

Hope this is of some help.

3. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  4. monkeymax

monkeymax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for bumping this thread a little - had final year projects to complete and so have been offline for the past week or so...

Yeah, the similarities are a bit scary, but thanks for the advice Monkeynuts!

My biggest concern was whether the 4x19W RMS would be enough to power aftermarket speakers... From what you say, it should be.

I did look at Kenwood and a few others. As you say, £30 is too much for an adaptor cable, yet that seems to be the trend... :thumbsdown: Didn't think to check eBay, will have to keep my eye on there too.

Was also hoping I'd get some feedback on the JVC/Aiwa headunits, as front inputs are a big bonus. But will check out the Kenwoods/Sonys, everyone seems to rate those (not that I'm a big fan of the 'Kenwood look'...)

Cheers,

Max

5. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    quick update - i received my cable from germany for £10.98 delivered and it works perfectly.

Just plugged it into back of HU and used a 2 phono to 3.5mm adapter lead to connect to my PDA or Laptop. Sound was very good and for a tenner, unbeatable!

For your £150 budget you should be able to pick up a very good HU, i appreciate the 'line in' dilema but maybe these adapter leads are available for brands other than kenwood....i know what you mean about the look, but i managed to find a plain ish one!

Cheers and good luck