Fitness watch for a 9 year old

steph746

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkung of getting my son a fitness watch for his 9th birthday next month. He's been asking about a Fitbit, but there are so many models and sizes that I'm a bit overwhelmed. Also, I see that they are not waterproof. So, I started looking at Garmins. If I did go with a Fitbit, would the Charge 2 be too large? In general, are fitbits better quality?

Thanks in advance...

I think Lidl or Aldi had some fitness watches in a few weeks ago; I'm unsure as to their durability though.

I've seen this comment from another forum about Aldi and Lidl smartwatches:

"Take my advice and never ever buy an electronic device from Lidl or Aldi where you'll need support in the future, that even applies to digital cameras (because you'll need drivers down the line to connect it to future versions of Windows and OSX) and especially GPS units (map updates) and so on.

That 'smart' watch will probably run out of road on the next or following version of iOS. Do yourself a favour, get your money back and stay away from gadgets in those discount stores."

It's probably not about the quality but the service is where you will encounter the problem.

Service is generally very good with aldi I find.

It's sounds of a bit of a bashing in their defence:-

Windows is unlikely to change its drivers model as we don't have the step changes like we had in the past. At the end of the day a camera is a usb storage device and is natively supported. So long as the current item has a 64 bit driver it's likely to last as long as the device itself. (Which these days seem to be replaced by the user more frequently)

And probably won't be supported in ios versions... Again I think this is stretching it a bit, apps do require certain versions but it's more they require a newer version rather than dropping over time.

I would look at the Xiaomi Mi Band 2. Gearbest usually under £15.
They have good 3rd party support.
You may have not heard of Xiaomi but they are now the 5th largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world. I would also avoid supermarket brands that are likely to have 0 support.

I'm also looking for a fitness tracker/band for my 9 yr old. Was looking at something like the Fitbit Alta, but not sure if the Small strap on it will be too big.

Tried the small strap size on the Alta and it looks fine so going with that far £69 at PC World.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom