Fit more on 1 disc via PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    Normally I record to a RAM disc on my E60 until it's full, then transfer the contents to PC and burn to DVD-R.
    Sometimes I burn directly to -R but either way I get a maximum of 2 hours in SP mode.
    I know I can use Flexible record to fit a bit more, but the quality decreases and the disc still fills up at about 4GB.

So, I recorded 65 mins at SP mode on 2 seperate RAM discs.
    Then I copied both discs to the PC totalling 2 hours and 10 mins.
    Then I successfully burned all 2 hours and 10 mins to -R without reducing quality and using 4.4GB of the -R disc.
    What's more the final disc plays fine right to the end.

So doing it this way I'll get about 10% more on every disc I use.
    Makes sense to me, but why on earth won't the Panasonic let you burn upto to 4.4GB?

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,392
    Are you sure it has burned 4.4Gb mate as usually when burning on a computer it wont let you go over 4.3Gb, last time I tried it errored and I wasted a disc.

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jules, there's a thread on dvdrhelp.com about panny machines not going above 4GB when recording to ram. I don't have this problem at all with my MR E50.

I use a panny pc burner and the panny ram drivers. When I look at the properties of the vro file of a ram disk filled in FR mode, it is 4.21GB in size.

However, it seems there is a 4GB limitation in some PC ram drivers, and, by the looks of it, some firmware versions of panny recorders don't allow them to go above 4GB either.

This needs some investigation, but, as I said, I have no such limitation in my setup. BTW, the maximum capacity of a UDF2.0 formatted ram disc is 4.26GB, not 4.4GB (where 1GB = 1024MB).

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    TMPG DVD Author shows a maximum of 4438MB.
    I just edited until I was just within this limit and it burned pefectly.