Fisheye lens - I want one!

squizza

Novice Member
I would love to get a fisheye lens. I have a Canon 30D so could you lovely people suggest the best fisheye lenses.

Many thanks in advance

Sarah

senu

Distinguished Member
Im not sure what fisheye means here .
If it means UWA ( Ultrawide angle)
I have the Tokina 12-24 and love it ,
See THIS POST

There are Canon and Sigma equivalents which are equally well thought of by thier users
Out of interest
Which focal lengths were you thinking of and what is your intended subject?

squizza

Novice Member
I used to have a 10-20 sigma, but found that i never used the 15-20mm end. I was wondering if they do fixed ultra wide lenses? at say 10, 12mm maybe

senu

Distinguished Member
Ive never actually seen one in use. or seen any images from it.
Most UWA images Ive seen are not from Primes.
If it is established that the primes wont give you a cost benefit advantage then simply get a UWA and stich to the lenghts you use the most
Many ultrawide angle Primes were made for FF and they will be in the 14-17 mm region anyway

squizza

Novice Member
I think I may have confused myself. I'm sure there was a post on here a couple of weeks ago showing examples of shots taken in london with such a lens.

Astaroth

A friend has the same 8mm Sigma fisheye lens and loves it.... I see they do a 4.5mm fisheye too but not sure if I know anyone who has used it.

Krank

Distinguished Member
That's a great pic Furq

senu

Distinguished Member
Am I right in thinking fisheye lenses, whilst potentially creative have a very limited ( and niche) use ?
Far less infact, than Long Zoom lenses
I cant imagine they are cheap , as such VFM is not an aspiration.
Im not knocking them, just saying Im not sure Id "desire" one myself as much as say a Tamron 90mm macro lens

Last edited:

squizza

Novice Member
amazing pictures!

which lens do you use?

R

ryanyboy

Sigma do a canon fit 10mm for about £450.00. It might be up your street.

It's F/2.8 so it has a pretty wide aperture making it fairly useful in low light. ie - wedding receptions, churches etc.

You could use it for loads of creative pictures too with the minimum focusing distance of 5 inches.

Great for something different and very handy for getting lots of people in a shot when you've got b***er all room to work with.

senu

Distinguished Member
Dont they also do a less somewhat costly 10-20mm , f 3.5?
PS : its f 4-5.6
It is very well liked though but I just remember the OP used to have that and didn't use it any longer than 15

Last edited:
R

ryanyboy

Dont they also do a less somewhat costly 10-20mm , f 3.5?
PS : its f 4-5.6
It is very well liked though but I just remember the OP used to have that and didn't use it any longer than 15
Yeah, I had it myself at one time. It doesn't really have the fisheye effect though. It's just a decent wideangle lens.

Fisheye shots tend to be characterised by a rounded shape to objects.

Your 10-20mm won't really do that (a bit maybe at the 10mm end but not really rounded like a fisheye).

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom