Fish Called Wanda Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Every now and then we're reminded of something from the past that, at the time, we thoroughly enjoyed - perhaps even loved, and when the opportunity to revisit these things is presented to us, temptation is often too strong to withstand. But the fact remains that once in a while, it's better to remember movies as they were than to risk lessening their qualities as you remember them - perfect little nuggets of fondness nestled away in our memories. When A Fish Called Wanda hit our screens back in 1988, this was very much an instant favourite of mine, and I wasn't alone. It was received with pretty much universal acclaim. A comedy heist movie penned by the ever popular Monty Python legend, John Cleese, and come awards time it was honoured with several nominations and even won an Oscar. It's...

Read the full review...

Hi

I've got the UK blu ray of this and it's got a lot of extras like a documentary etc as well as the commentary. Maybe your screener BR was missing stuff?

I have to agree that it doesn't look great but at least now we finally get the closing text in its original format instead of the hideous player generated subtitle text for the UK special edition DVD. I used to hate that - MGM did the same with the intro for The Terminator

How right you are, Graham. Thanks for pointing this out, very much appreciated!

:facepalm:

I have adjusted the scores on Extras accordingly, and having watched them all (buried in the rather convoluted and uninformative menu system I might add), I'm happily surprised! Enough to bump the overall score by a point, too!

Cheers
-al
:suicide:

Cheers, yep the menu's very poor isn't it. Not that obvious where extras are and no top menu so the film just starts, and then loops back to the start after the end titles

Hi Alan

An excellent review and I agree with your sentiment completely on the film having just watched this at a friends recently.

I must say though I still think you are being generous on picture and sound ratings - I was absolutely appalled at how bad the quality (or lack of) was on this VHS sorry BluRay :rolleyes:

Hi Alan

An excellent review and I agree with your sentiment completely on the film having just watched this at a friends recently.

I must say though I still think you are being generous on picture and sound ratings - I was absolutely appalled at how bad the quality (or lack of) was on this VHS sorry BluRay :rolleyes:

Hi Shawn

Completely understand where you're coming from - appalling is a fair description. Though as I mention in the review, after we get past the utterly abominable opening shots, things do improve slightly. I tried to reflect this in my scores. Had the PQ remained as bad as it was in those opening moments, I would have had no problems giving a lesser score than the 4 it got, but things do improve, albeit slightly.

Without splashing a ton of cash, it's tricky to redeem poor quality negatives, you're right though it's one of the poorest transfers I've seen to date. I think I make mention of it looking like an up-scaled VHS transfer in the review.

*sadface*

You are right and the one thing MGM don't have right now is cash.

Lets not even get started on Ronin or The Usual Suspects BluRays :(:(

At least reviews like this let people decide for themselves though :)

That's exactly our ethos when approaching reviews. With some movies, however, it's more difficult to remain objective and impartial than it is with others, so spare a thought for the poor souls having to bite their tongue and review them impartially :)

It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it ;)

:D:D cough Blade Trinity cough

Poor cas!

:)

and you get Jaws....what has poor Cas done to rub Phil/Stuart up the wrong way ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom