• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

First year of Sky HD almost up - if I cancel...

harveys

Standard Member
& want to keep just the Sky Free to Air channels package...

1) will we still be able to watch the stuff we've recorded (films, fitba etc - even if we don't have those channels?)

2) use the HD box to record from the remaining channels - i.e as a PVR type box?

3) use the EPG?

4) what else will still function/what won't?

What are the current tactics to get you to remain with Sky in some form?

We currently have a discounted deal on a full package (moves, sports, six mixes etc with HD) - we got it installed & the HD box at a reasonable cost - however it's about to go up to almost £60 a month & as my wife is now off maternity pay...the money could be better spent elsewhere to be honest - yes we will miss some of it - but we've had little time to watch much (even tho' we took it thinking she'd have time to watch TV - but the arrival of twins put paid to that!!!) - movies (been a little disappointed with the choice & the repeat process), I've watched the odd game of footie + one or two other things on the other channels (24 etc) Haven't used Box Office or any other further subscription options.

I wouldn't say we wouldn't be prepared to keep some form of Sky package, but the deal would need to be good...& even then I wouldn't want to be tied in for another 12months.

I am going to look at the alternatives - BT/Virgin etc, but as we have a Humax PVR already, I am in no rush to settle on something.

Apologies of this has been covered elsewhere...but I'd be very grateful for any info/suggestions/advice you can give me.

Thanks

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
If you cancel you sky deal completely :

You will be left with a box that just gets the free to view and free to air channels.
You will not be able to record or live pause etc.
You will however still be able to watch BBC HD and C4HD​

If you have some sort of sky subscription (say the £17 a month basic mix)

You will be able to record and use the sky + part of the box
You will be limited to the following HD channels BBCHD C4HD, LuxeHD and ITV HD (the latter if you have the new EPG).
You will not be able to watch things you have recorded that you no longer have a subscription for.​

You cannot just subscribe to say Sky Sports or just to HD - you have to have at least a basic mix.

If you get the basic entertainment pack and the HD pack (£27 a month) you will get all the HD channels except Movies, Sport and Disney CM.

You will not have to commit yourself to 12 months.
Hope that helps.

nickp8

1) No

2) Not without paying SKY £10 a month

3) Yes

harveys

Standard Member
I've c0cked up then...we agreed to take the HD option - believing at the end we'd have better (bigger memory) box at the end of whatever period we subscribed for - I even had that discussion with the salesman at the time ! £120 wasted in effect

I can't believe (well I do believe - I just think it's a rip off!) I can't access the stuff I've recorded - surely I own the box...and the contents???

I know it's my own fault for not checking out the finer details - but if I'd know this, I doubt we'd have taken any package at all.

Can anyone recommend on any of the others BT/Virgin etc...or even what a decent deal on Sky would be?

harveys

Standard Member
I am going to check out getting a Recorder to record the stuff I already have to - any suggestions - something cheap, not fancy.

& is that a simple thing to rig up?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
I can't believe (well I do believe - I just think it's a rip off!) I can't access the stuff I've recorded - surely I own the box...and the contents???

You do own the box - and I guess you do own the encrypted content which is held on that box. But only a Sky subscription will entitle you to decrypt that content to make it viewable. Decryption is done during viewing, not during recording.

harveys

Standard Member
So can I download the contents to a DVD recorder & still watch them later - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If it can be done - any recommendations on a decent VFM machine...and is it an easy process?

pauljcarr

Standard Member
So can I download the contents to a DVD recorder & still watch them later - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If it can be done - any recommendations on a decent VFM machine...and is it an easy process?

If you transfer the recordings to a DVD recorder or other PVR, then sure you can watch it later. I don't think you can transfer it in HD though (assuming you had a HD recorder).

harveys

Standard Member
I am not too bothered about the HD aspect...you mention a PVR - I have a Humax, can I record the Sky stuff onto it from the Sky box? If so - is it a complicated setup?

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
If you wish you CAN subscribe to just Sports or Just movies along with the HD mix but you'll only be saving ONE pound compared to the 1 mix and Sports price.

5to1

You can probably ebay (or use the trading forums here) the box and get a fair bit of your £120 back.

They seem to be offering the box pretty cheap for new contracts now, so no point holding onto it purely for freeview. If you join again later, you'll probably get the box cheaper then the amount you recoup by selling it now.

Siamese Cat

Should just be a scart lead from the sky box into the Humax

The Humax manual should tell you what to do.

You cannot record from a Sky box onto a Humax or any other make of PVR. PVRs only record from their own tuner. If you want to record from a Sky box then you need a DVD recorder, with or without a hard drive. Also this will only record in standard definition. Even Panasonic's blu ray recorders cannot record in high definition from an external source, only from their own tuners.

Last edited:

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
so just to confirm if you have a skyhd box then cancel the HD part of the subscription keeping your current SD sky subscription. the box will the basically work like a normal sky+ box but can you watch the BBCHD C4HD, LuxeHD and ITV HD via the HDMI.

what size hardrive comes in a sky HD box?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
so just to confirm if you have a skyhd box then cancel the HD part of the subscription keeping your current SD sky subscription. the box will the basically work like a normal sky+ box but can you watch the BBCHD C4HD, LuxeHD and ITV HD via the HDMI.

what size hardrive comes in a sky HD box?

Yep that is correct and the SKY+HD has a 300gig hard drive with 160gig allocated to the user, the remaining 140gig is set aside for Anytime and can not be accessed by the user.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom