First world problem query!

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Okay, in the grand scheme of life this is completely trivial, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've just had a new combi boiler installed and it is much shorter than the old one put in by the previous flat owner. I think she also refurbished the kitchen at the same time as there was some custom made MDF panelling that previously hid the pipework; this is now exposed and it just looks really unsightly.

I think this is exacerbated by the fact that it is just a small galley kitchen - 11 x 5.

I intend to look online for someone to make me some MDF panelling that is taller and would now hide the new pipework, but who do I search for? A carpenter? A joiner? A general handyman? And where?

Ideally, I would like to put the job out to tender and see who comes up with the best quote as it's basically just measuring the space and making something to fit that slots into place, nothing too complicated for anyone skilled. And before it's suggested that I could do it myself: I have no DIY skills whatsoever and would probably end up sawing my own hand off!

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1000806.JPG
    P1000806.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • P1000817.JPG
    P1000817.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
A joiner knocked something up for me but to be honest if i had not been unwell at the time I would have done it myself but he did manage to match the kitchen units.
E12hK2w.jpg

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Some cardboard and a bit of gaffer tape will have that right in a jiffy.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
So you'd recommend a joiner then, Mr F?

How did you find him please? And how much did the work cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'd ask you to do it for me, but you're slightly too far away!;)

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
So you'd recommend a joiner then, Mr F?

How did you find him please? And how much did the work cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'd ask you to do it for me, but you're slightly too far away!;)
Now your asking, a man who needs to look at the label sewn inside his underpants when he forgets his name.
Being in the building trade most of my working life I have contacts which is how I found the guy and I was lucky to have some off cuts from the kitchen which saved on materials, but white melamine board would have done as it would have matched the tiles.
As for cost? I cannot remember how much to be honest but I doubt it was more than £50?

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Okay, have just put my job out to tender on Rated People and e-mailed a joiner I found on Checkatrade.

Thanks for your help, even the "comedy" replies.:)

krish

Distinguished Member
I intend to look online for someone to make me some MDF panelling that is taller and would now hide the new pipework, but who do I search for? A carpenter? A joiner? A general handyman? And where?
probably someone like that ... the business/person may use the term home maintenance - google/facebook/yell.co.uk

D

Deleted member 27989

Alternatively perhaps finally a good use for something useable to be created by a 3d printer :) Great excuse to buy a gadget

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Quick Thread update as I just know you all live for my trivial queries!

Managed to make contact with a joiner via one of those online portals yesterday. He came back today with the replacement panelling, measured and cut and done!

He did a great job, the only downside was the price - £90!:eek: However, he took his time and I suppose that's okay for something that requires zero maintenance and should last forever.

Images are of before and after.
P1000817.JPG
P1000820.JPG

Thanks for all your help.:)

gibbsy

£90 and the ******* ate nearly all your bananas. Cheek of it.:D

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
As long as you are happy.

gibbsy

Please see my initial post!

He did a much better job than I would have done in a million years. I know my limitations.
It's OK my missus wouldn't trust me to dig a hole in the ground let alone do anything in the house. Why do you think I've got upfiring Atmos speakers. Now there's a garden shed to be knocked down in the spring......I'm your man. She'll let me loose on that one.:smashin:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
One hard stare and...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom