First video with new Mobius Dash Cam - and a near miss!

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Because they are so cheap (cheaper than a chips away repair if there is a bump which I can't prove wasn't my fault), I decided to get a Dash Cam.
I did some research and watched some videos and decided on a Mobius from JooVuu.
Mobius | Dash Cam Talk
Mobius (wide angle lens) - Car Camera Pack 2
Installing it was dead easy. I put it to the left of the rear view mirror so it doesn't obscure my view. And I fed the USB cable above the passenger sun visor, down the side of the passenger windscreen column, round under and behind the glove box and back up and over the central column into the lighter socket.

temp1.jpg

This is the footage from the first trip with the new Mobius Dash Cam installed. I tell a story of why I wish I'd had a dash cam in the car previously.
Interestingly we nearly got hit by a granny who crept over to our side of the road. It was pretty close.

Last edited:
She was too old to be driving ha ha That cracked me up :D:D

Sorry Stuart but £60+ is not cheap as chips in my book, less than £20 I would say is cheap. You obviously have more money than sense :D
Charming. Compared to a GoPro, it's cheap as chips.

Sorry Stuart but £60+ is not cheap as chips in my book, less than £20 I would say is cheap. You obviously have more money than sense :D

£60 for a dash cam is about the right price point for decent quality.

David

Last edited:
Interestingly we nearly got hit by a granny who crept over to our side of the road. It was pretty close.

Am I the only one not seeing this ?

Am I the only one not seeing this ?

No mate looks like the video has been taken down.

Should be visible, now.

There are few places around here where people cut the corner, in once case on a gentle bend where the central hatched area is for people taking a turning to the right.
Sometimes half way across the hatched area!

This sort of thing is quite common, no one seems to stick to their side of the road anymore! Its one of the reasons I have a dash cam as well as because of the time someone rolled back into my wifes car at a junction and then claimed on the insurance for whiplash and that my wife had driven into them. o_O

Because they are so cheap (cheaper than a chips away repair if there is a bump which I can't prove wasn't my fault), I decided to get a Dash Cam.
I did some research and watched some videos and decided on a Mobius from JooVuu.
Mobius | Dash Cam Talk
Mobius (wide angle lens) - Car Camera Pack 2
Installing it was dead easy. I put it to the left of the rear view mirror so it doesn't obscure my view. And I fed the USB cable above the passenger sun visor, down the side of the passenger windscreen column, round under and behind the glove box and back up and over the central column into the lighter socket.

Do you still have this dash cam Stuart, if so do you still recommend it? Also is it very easy to install as I'm pretty rubbish at anything like that? I was wondering if Halfords would install it if I bought one as they only charge £30 but I'm guessing they will only fit the ones you buy from them.

Do you still have this dash cam Stuart, if so do you still recommend it? Also is it very easy to install as I'm pretty rubbish at anything like that? I was wondering if Halfords would install it if I bought one as they only charge £30 but I'm guessing they will only fit the ones you buy from them.
I have two in the car. One in the front and one in the back connected to a rear lighter socket.
Yes I still recommend the Mobius. They still both work, even after being subjected to 120+ degree heat in Death Valley where the case melted.
This from December 23rd (last week).

I got mine from Mobius (V3) Car Pack (Customizable) - Joovuu Store
Installation really is easy. They come with adhesive cable clips which allow you to stick the cable to the car interior from the lighter socket up to the camera. My cable goes round the centre console, up under the back of the glove compartment, out near the door, up the windscreen pillar, above the passenger sun visor and out to the camera which is almost completely hidden from my view by the rear view mirror. I don't notice the cabling and it doesn't get in the way.
When we went to America last year, I took one with me and hooked it up to the rental car in the same way.
Here is a shot of it in the rental car in America with the cable disappearing behind the passenger visor.
P1000131.JPG

And here is video from that camera.

Also in the photo above you can see the same adhesive clips being used to secure the white audio and USB cables used to power my iPhone and connect the audio to the AUX in of the head unit (because it didn't have bluetooth).
Hooking it up took minutes, and I suggest you have a go at doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Cars should come as standard. The impact of insurance claims. From excess protection to liability splits to fraud is ridiculous. Would save billions.

Installation really is easy. They come with adhesive cable clips which allow you to stick the cable to the car interior from the lighter socket up to the camera. My cable goes round the centre console, up under the back of the glove compartment, out near the door, up the windscreen pillar, above the passenger sun visor and out to the camera which is almost completely hidden from my view by the rear view mirror. I don't notice the cabling and it doesn't get in the way.

Cheers Stuart. So you don't have it hooked up to the ignition, do you have to switch it on and off manually?

Cheers Stuart. So you don't have it hooked up to the ignition, do you have to switch it on and off manually?
If it's plugged into the lighter socket then when you start the ignition, the socket gets power and camera starts recording automatically. Similarly when you turn off the ignition, power stops and the camera stops recording. And because it overwrites the oldest files on the card when it gets full, once you've got it in the car you can forget about it until you need any video.

If it's plugged into the lighter socket then when you start the ignition, the socket gets power and camera starts recording automatically. Similarly when you turn off the ignition, power stops and the camera stops recording. And because it overwrites the oldest files on the card when it gets full, once you've got it in the car you can forget about it until you need any video.

I can probably install it no problem then, I was thinking I had to hide the wires and wire it up to the ignition. What size memory card do you use and how long does it take to overwrite it?

I am thinking of getting one but I do have one concern - has anyone had their car broken into for one?
A dashcam is partly for a record in case on an accident but also in case it helps with insurance costs.
Has anyone's insurance gone down with a dashcam?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I am thinking of getting one but I do have one concern - has anyone had their car broken into for one?

Yeah I had similar thoughts.
Do you guys take it out every time you park?
Surely it makes you car a target if you leave it in?

A dashcam is partly for a record in case on an accident but also in case it helps with insurance costs.
Has anyone's insurance gone down with a dashcam?

Yeah I had similar thoughts.
Do you guys take it out every time you park?
Surely it makes you car a target if you leave it in?

Yes it is a slight concern. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Mobius is it's one of the smallest on the market, I'm not sure how visible they are from the outside.

Careful positioning should help depending on the car.

Lens extension cable, no. It allows the lens to be positioned away from the body of the camera which can then be hidden away to make it more discreet. Not necessary unless you really want to hide the camera. You have to disconnect the lens and reconnect it outside of the camera body using the 8 inch cable. You'd then use adhesive tape or something to stick the lens to the interior of the car pointing out.
Super capacitor replaces the battery and is preferable if you're using the camera permanently in your car like I am. You have to take out the battery and put in the super capacitor instead. It's not difficult to do.
The hardware kit allows you to connect the camera to the car's wiring system. If you're intending to plug it into the lighter socket then you don't need it.
I'd go for the wide angle lens.

Thanks.
Did you use the sticky mount or the suction cup?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom