First venture to home cinema advice

mcockram85

Standard Member
Hi Guys

I have been a regular reader of these forums for a long time now but not felt the need to post anything (usually answers to my questions are asked and answered by other people!)

I know that alot of people on these forums bemoan the purchasing of an all in one home cinema kit but at current I can not afford to purchase separates (new mortgage to pay etc...)

My question is, what home cinema system would you recommend for under £200.

I am looking for a 5.1 set up preferably with 4 tall boy speakers (two would also be considered) and build in DVD.

It will be used alongside my Xbox 360 (thus optical is essential) and my Samsung LE40R. The room it will be set up in is not massive (4.57m x 3.68m) in case this has any bearing on advice.

I had looked at on-line and seen the LG HT503 but not read any convincing reviews, do an of you have experience with this system? Another system that has caught my eye is the Samsung HT-TZ225R but I have read on these pages of numerous problems with Samsungs and people steering clear of them.

Any advice would be welcome, I am looking to buy within the next 2 weeks so if you know of any bargains or great deals let me know!

Thanks in advance.

Mackenzie

mcockram85

Standard Member
Thanks Michael that system does look pretty good. It is a bit above what I was hoping to pay but I guess you get what you pay for.

On a related note I have seen Panasonic SC-P860 for £240? Is this a good deal? Any recommendations would be welcome.

MichaelGL

Novice Member
Thanks Michael that system does look pretty good. It is a bit above what I was hoping to pay but I guess you get what you pay for.

On a related note I have seen Panasonic SC-P860 for £240? Is this a good deal? Any recommendations would be welcome.
Can't seem to find the SC-P860 when searching on google...

From all the panasonic home surrounds I've looked at they've all seemed to lack DTS support and are more expensive than other brands

Best to look at Sony, Samsung and LG to be honest

I've ordered myself a Sony HT-SS100 which was £309.99, just slightly above my budget of £250 :p

It doesn't have an inbuilt DVD player but has 3xHDMI in, 1 out and an optical in

So I can link the PS3, 360 and FreeSat into it

The PS3 is my DVD player anyway

You could get a Sony HT-SF1200 for under the £250 mark if you look around

These are floorstanders but no DVD player with it although you could always use the 360 for DVDs?

mcockram85

Standard Member
After I posted my last message I discovered that the Panasonic's were over priced for the package they were offering.

I had a look at th Sony HT-SF1200 but they seem to be discontinued, unless you know somewhere still selling them? Amazon did have 1 used but that was £300 which is more than I can spend.

A DVD player is not essential as the xbox does play dvds but it is bloody noisy (my only gripe with the machine). So I was wondering if it is possible to put together a cheap Seperates system around £200 max. ( I doubt it is possible but if you don't ask....)

MichaelGL

Novice Member
After I posted my last message I discovered that the Panasonic's were over priced for the package they were offering.

I had a look at th Sony HT-SF1200 but they seem to be discontinued, unless you know somewhere still selling them? Amazon did have 1 used but that was £300 which is more than I can spend.

A DVD player is not essential as the xbox does play dvds but it is bloody noisy (my only gripe with the machine). So I was wondering if it is possible to put together a cheap Seperates system around £200 max. ( I doubt it is possible but if you don't ask....)
They were on cheapelectricals but just checked and not on there :/

I'm pretty sure the Surround would overpower the hum of the 360 if you have the volume up :p

Have a look at this:

JVC TH-L1 Receiver Package - Buy from Digital Direct

Only 360w but reviews are favourable, its 5.1 and has support for Dolby and DTS

You even get a free game when you order it :thumbsup:

mcockram85

Standard Member
That looks like a good bit of kit, I guess the choices are quiet open really.

I was hoping for some reviews/personal experience from users as I value human opinions over speil from the marketing team of a company. Nothing beats hearing a system in the flesh though so you know how it performs.

MichaelGL

Novice Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom