First utility

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by djbsom, Feb 4, 2014.

1. djbsom

djbsom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I'm doing a general review of all my bills and a few of the compare sites suggest we change to First utility (from Swalec) for our gas and electricity.
    Anyone with experience of this company? Good or bad, it's all good.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave.

2. delanoster

delanoster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I'm with First utility. Prices are good but customer services is awful. I have two queries with them: one requesting a smart meter the second querying an estimated meter reading they took two days after I submitted the actual reading online. Both were raised in early January and neither has had a single response since the automated acknowledgement.

Phone holding times are around 40 minutes too.

If you never need to contact your utility company about anything then they'll be OK.

3. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    agree with points above, I switched from npower to these cats and for some reason has did not transfer at same time. Sent two emails in early Dec.... Have received FA response...

4. deantown

deantown
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,579
    We are with them, luckily we haven't had to contact them for any reason. They email us regularly for meter readings. We have just signed up for another 18 months so fingers crossed.

5. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    I was looking at exactly the same thing today. Am with nPower and realised I hadn't received a bill for 6 months (about to get one apparently) so thought I'd do a price comparison on a few sites.

First Utility came up cheapest but after checking reviews they seem like a nightmare with no bills, wrong bills and poor CS. I think one of the other new ones like Ovo are better reviewed but I am tempted to go with another big provider such as EDF or maybe even Sainsburys as I'll still save myself over £200 and at least they have reasonable systems in place, even if they are all far from perfect.

6. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    I can't fault edf always had good customer service from them and it's a freephone number.

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    A friend of mine had a nightmare experience with them a couple of years ago where he had over 12 months of no bills despite him giving them readings and numerous phone calls (like 50+ over 12 months). He then informed he was leaving to move to a new supplier,after he moved he was still trying to sort out what he owed.

Eventually over 6 months after he moved they billed him for his usage and the rates they charged him was not right as the rates changed during the 12 months he was with them and they wanted to charge him all at the higher rate. My mate is an accountant and had worked the bills out to the last penny and what they billed him was miles out.

Eventually after more phone calls to very unhelpful staff they finally agreed his working out and he paid them around £1800, they offered him £60 compo to cover all his phone calls and his work calculating the correct bills.

He had a smart meter fitted all the time he was with them and it was supposed to read his meter daily and bill him monthly for actual energy used, there was nothing smart in the way it worked as he never had a bill other than the first one then nothing after.

What a bunch of incompetents, I would hope things have got better since he left them but I suspect not.

8. BName

BName
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    Been on them for a few months everything is good apart from CS which is .....................

9. Sve

Sve
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Been with them around 3 years now. About the cheapest prices around. I have never had to contact their cs so cannot comment on them.

10. DarenD

DarenD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best. These lot tried to say I was a bad creditor and wanted £450 upfront before they would supply. I applied to Co-Op Energy instead got £50 cashback for the effort and a customer service that's hard to beat.

11. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,737
    First utility were also cheaper for me but after reading around I went for the Co-op. The change over has been faultless and when I've rang them it's been a more or less an instant answer. Not like trying to ring some of the big companies where I'm wound up before talking to them after having waited so long to get through.

12. happy_2008

happy_2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I moved to OVO despite them being second cheapest. First utility was the cheapest by £1-20 but the reviews on customer service put me off

13. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    Are you happy with Ovo (getting billed correctly etc...)? They were one of the small companies I was possibly looking at.

14. happy_2008

happy_2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    At the moment everything seems to be going well but it's still early days. Literally in the process of moving from npower to OVO!

15. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,737
    It would be great if everybody left the big suppliers. There's no excuse really with a lot of other companies being cheaper.

16. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    FU = terrible customer service, finally received money back from NPower after switching 4 months ago... ******s!!

17. BName

BName
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    If i knew how bad FU were i would not have gone onto them. They tell me every quater to send meter readings in which i can not do so they send me itemized bills. Tried phoning them and i am allways 30 something in the queue so sod that.

18. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I doubt much has changed since this thread was posted but anyone else have any thoughts?

Looking on uSwitch and I can save £170 a year with First Utility (+ £45 TopCashBack), next one up is NPower saving me £110 a year. All the reviews of bad CS are offputting...

19. BName

BName
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    I need to talk to CS at First Utility everytime i phone them i am number 20+ in the Queue. No way am i waiting that long.

20. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Utility warehouse aren't on comparison sites but usually rate top or near top on which for customer service. Not always the cheapest but consistently cheaper than the top 6.

21. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    When I switched I got monthly texts asking for meter reads. Suddenly they stopped and, despite requests , they have yet to sort this.

22. Frostytouch

Frostytouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    We've been with OVO for 5 years, great consistently low prices with accurate bills and they answer the phone.

Online system to put monthly readings in, real and estimated statements on demand and clear bills.

Have read loads of horror stories about First Utility on the MSE forums....

23. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    I did a few comparisons a week or two back and First Utility came out cheapest. I read a couple of the reviews and decided to stay where I am. I can't deal with crappy CS on the phone.

24. qwerty321

qwerty321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I think after reading the posts here - I might just go with Npower. It is still a saving and will also be fixed for two years.

25. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,969
    Just started the switch from M&S Energy (Fix & Save Sep 2014, contract ends 30th) to FU (iSave Fixed October 2015 (v30) dual fuel), was cheapest by far for me on the comparison sites with an annual saving of ~£130, but went via First Utility - Top CashBack for the £52.50 cashback (~£30 max cashback via comparison sites), payable in ~10 weeks.

Various places are reporting that FU's CS has improved but, whatever the case, I took a punt due to the nice saving hopefully making up for any pain.

Btw ... TopCashBack's £52.50 cashback deal (duel fuel) ends this week ("Exclusive Offer! Ends In 3 Days")

26. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I signed up to the energy club or whatever it is called run by MSE. They recently contacted me to say I could save money on my energy bills.

Apart from the £50 fee to leave my present contract, they still said I could save around £100. But looking at the way the comparison was worked out, suggested they based it on my deal price for seven months and the standard rate for the last five months! Now that assumed I would not just go onto another deal at that time. I could have thought I was getting a good deal, but I may well be better off not paying the fee and finding the best deal when my current deal is done.

Something to watch for.

27. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Max, your best bet is comparing like for like. Find out what the daily standing charge is and what price each unit is. It's alright saying "we can save you this much" if they don't say how. Because as you say they could be basing it on a false rate.

28. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    I am on a pretty good deal really. But I was surprised to hear I could be on a better deal. However, because of the way they were comparing, it wasn't better at all.

I'm just flagging up the issue in case anyone else gets swayed by it. I won't be changing until my deal is up. It also depends on how much energy you use. That is always a moving target. With the mild summer, most people have either been put on lower dd's or are in credit. It will all cause pain when the prices rise again.

29. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Was with EON, now just switching over to EDF Blue+ 2016, fixed until end of March 2016 and no exit fees.

Marginally more than the cheapest small utility companies, but most of those have earlier fixed periods and exit fees.

Should the unthinkable happen and prices actually go down, it wont cost me a penny to change and take advantage.

30. safcalibur

safcalibur
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,270
    Done the exact same thing 2 days ago!