First upgrade in 10+ years. What should I go for?

steve 111

I'm thinking of finally upgrading my 10 year old Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector. It's in a dedicated room with no natural light, and it's only inputs are Sky Q Mini and a non-4k Blu-Ray. I've got a budget of £2k to £2.5k. What do people recommend?

alebonau

Distinguished Member
the epson 9000 series and the panas were cousins....

if they had continued to be ...cousins... you'd buy a pana version of the epson 9400..

is that within your budget in your neck of the woods ?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
the epson 9000 series and the panas were cousins....

if they had continued to be ...cousins... you'd buy a pana version of the epson 9400..

is that within your budget in your neck of the woods ?
Do Panasonic even do a model based on the Epson 9400?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I'm thinking of finally upgrading my 10 year old Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector. It's in a dedicated room with no natural light, and it's only inputs are Sky Q Mini and a non-4k Blu-Ray. I've got a budget of £2k to £2.5k. What do people recommend?
At that price point get yourself an Epson TW9400, nothing beats it at this price point.

steve 111

At that price point get yourself an Epson TW9400, nothing beats it at this price point.
Just based on a very quick search this one does keep coming out.

3rdignis

You may like a used jvc better, but count on future bills.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Do Panasonic even do a model based on the Epson 9400?
nope. only a twin to the model before in the 9200 which was missing the e-shift and later early(but limited) 4k hdmi chip set of 9300 :)

the pana is actually quite superb for 1080p and id keep using that if thats all ever want. i have seen it in a dedicated ht room and would be surprised if the 9400 really bring much more for 2k SDR. Only reason id suggest to OP to get a 9400 would be if seeking 4k HDR support :)

steve 111

nope. only a twin to the model before in the 9200 which was missing the e-shift and later early(but limited) 4k hdmi chip set of 9300 :)

the pana is actually quite superb for 1080p and id keep using that if thats all ever want. i have seen it in a dedicated ht room and would be surprised if the 9400 really bring much more for 2k SDR. Only reason id suggest to OP to get a 9400 would be if seeking 4k HDR support :)
Just to be clear you’re saying a 10+ year old Panasonic is as good as the 9400 for 1080p content?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Just to be clear you’re saying a 10+ year old Panasonic is as good as the 9400 for 1080p content?
Yeah struggling to get my head around that one as someone who already had the 9400 and now the N5. IMO the 9400 is unrivalled in its price bracket and throws a simply superb image.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I think the picture processing might be better on the panasonic and motion.

The Epson will be better at everything else, especially brightness.

The 9400 will be twice as bright nearly. On/off contrast numbers I can't find for AE4000 but AE3000 was like 1500:1. Epson 9400 is like 4000:1 so almost triple contrast.

Epson's DI is also very aggressive so had excellent fade to black.

4K HDR obv the 9400 (and 9300) will run away with it.

3D epson will run away with it in lumens but the motion is a bit naff on 3D.

Features such as electronic lens cover, lens shift, versatility, epson destroys.

form factor, panny is beautiful and compact so easier to place, the epsons are beasts only second to the N series in how humungous they are.

what is ur budget?

JamesBaby

For 2-2.5k I'd be getting a used JVC.

There's an x5000 on ebay for around £2150 or best offer now.

Or an X500 for around £800-1200 I think.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I would suggest this too.

Just factor in price for a new bulb

X5000 will be brighter and have approximately 25-50x more contrast.

There's an x5000 on ebay for around £2150 or best offer now.

Or an X500 for around £800-1200 I thi

Last edited:

alebonau

Distinguished Member
yes ... beleive it or not .. but the 9300 i found a marginal if not much to speak off upgrade to the 9200 for 1080p and its understandable.. epson did a smart move.. not unlike jvc adding e-shift and newer hdmi chipset to a machine to take to 4k age :) incase unaware the 9200 sold right upto 2016 when the 9300 was released.... epson have always made incremental updates with model releases... and yes the 9400 roots goes way... way back all ways back to the ole 9000 series released in 2012 10 years ago.. i actually demoed the models in between and yes 9000 to 9200 was nothing to speak off and 9300 really bring 4k hdr... 1080p wise even an old 9000 is excellent :) they were excellent 3D machines as well. 9400 was an update to the 9300 and again bringing gains in the 4k uhd stakes...

alebonau

Distinguished Member
yes even an old jvc x35 will do better than the epsons... for 1080p that is ... but problem is finding a good example.. personally buying old relics i wouldnt now days go further back than x5000 and even they are hard to find now and getting on....

Glenn Uk

Interesting im looking to change our current projector, a TW5500. I have no idea how old i is, was in th ehouse when we moved in . Replaced the lamp about 6 months ago but it keeps throwing odd colours and have permission to buy new., have been looking at Epson and this seems to tick a lot of boxes.

Anyone know if this can be integrated into a control4 set up ?

Also the mount on the existing projector is particularly naff and difficult to set, has anyone used the Epson mounts or would recommend something to go with the EH-TW9400?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

3rdignis

I find shelves easier

Glenn Uk

Unfortunately a shelf is not really an option for me, and besides, given my carpentry skills, would like require more than just keystone adjustment :)

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom