First TV upgrade in over 10 years!

andyi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've been really happily using our Pioneer Kuro KRP 500A since we bought it way back whenever it came out! However, it's started playing up, and it's probably long overdue replacing (along with the amp).

I've not been able to keep up with what the latest and greatest is... I'm assuming OLED these days? Budget is "high", I'm definitely looking for top models, albeit probably not in their top sizes going from the giant TVs I've seen around these days. I'm looking for a 55" to 65". Mainly movies, TV and gaming (PS5). Needs to have 4K, HDR10+ and all the good stuff you get these days as I hope to keep this TV going for just as long as our trusty Pioneer, so as much future proofing with ports etc would be good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Defo LG C1 or C2 or Sony a80J sets

Thanks @tvdavid . I'll check those out. I certainly keep hearing good things about the C1, and that's without me even following TV tech for some time in any depth.

I don't think OLEDs brightness/reflectivity will be an issue given I've been running a plasma which obviously has a glass front. We've never needed to turn the brightness up in the room I've used the Kuro in.

Possibly my only worry would be gaming and burn in. I'm used to turning the Kuro off whenever I can, and whilst I game, I don't play the same game over and over, I move on. I'm also old enough that I can't game 15 hours a day, so I think I'll be OK. Even my old Kuro has the mitigations where it moves the screen a few pixels, so I'm guessing these all have that (if not better) given it's been all these years.

OLEDs burn in effect is cumulative, whereas the danger with Plasma was long sessions causing damage.
In other words, you needn't worry unless you have an unusual habit of playing game(s) with dangerous bright static elements for a long time total, not in sessions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom