First Tv, Samsung or LG

caindey

Standard Member
Hello guys :)

Im looking to buy my first (flatscreen) tv very soon, and trying to figure out what to buy. I've always been a fan of Samsungs products, but lots of ppl i know also rate the LG tellys.

As i never had a proper telly before, i dont really know what to look for. From what i do understand is that Full HD, and 1080p is a must! Except from that i dont know much about it. Some says LCD and some says Plasma. I got the idea that LCD always have been better, but some ppl like to try convince me otherwise.

I am going to get a PS3 as well, to use with the telly, if that has any affect on decision i dont know. And I want the telly to be in the 40"+ range.

These are the tellys ive looked at so far;
Samsung and LG

Any input and guidance would be very appreciated :thumbsup:

liam999uk

Standard Member
Depends on the circumstances that the tv is going to be used in as to which one is right for you. Such as is the room bright where you will be viewing it??? How far are you sat away?

Plasma pros.

Good motion handling
Quick response times
High contrast ratios

Plasma cons.

Not as energy efficent as LCD/LED

Screens can be really reflective due to the glass (although the high end TV's have good filters.)

The possibility of Image retention/screen burn (although this is rarer on recent plasmas.)

Lcd/led pros.

Nice bright image.
Sharper image.
Energy efficent.
Some really nice slim well designed TV's

Lcd/led cons.

Can suffer with motion blur/judder
Contrast ratios not as high as plasmas
Response times not as good

Each to their own really. The best bet is first to decide how far you are going to sit from the TV, then decide what you will be using it for. Then go view the TV. I've just returned a samsung plasma albeit very very good, i just could not get along with the picture so am going back to LED as i like the brightness and sharper picture.

1080p is just about standard on most TV's now but thats what you want.

liam999uk

Standard Member
Just to add, in my opinion samsung is better than LG. but i prefer Sony now for lcd/led, the 2011 samsung screens are high gloss an really reflective. If you go plasma, get a panasonic if you can afford. Well worth the extra £'s!

Stum1

Standard Member
I have a 46" panasonic viera plasma in my living room and cant fault it one bit.

Also have a 42" LG LED in spare room which i play the playstation on and watch movies and picture quality is great IMO.

If it was me i would go for a plasma as the judder/shadows on LCD far outweigh any other cons on a plasma.

caindey

Standard Member
Depends on the circumstances that the tv is going to be used in as to which one is right for you. Such as is the room bright where you will be viewing it??? How far are you sat away?

Plasma pros.

Good motion handling
Quick response times
High contrast ratios

Plasma cons.

Not as energy efficent as LCD/LED

Screens can be really reflective due to the glass (although the high end TV's have good filters.)

The possibility of Image retention/screen burn (although this is rarer on recent plasmas.)

Lcd/led pros.

Nice bright image.
Sharper image.
Energy efficent.
Some really nice slim well designed TV's

Lcd/led cons.

Can suffer with motion blur/judder
Contrast ratios not as high as plasmas
Response times not as good

Each to their own really. The best bet is first to decide how far you are going to sit from the TV, then decide what you will be using it for. Then go view the TV. I've just returned a samsung plasma albeit very very good, i just could not get along with the picture so am going back to LED as i like the brightness and sharper picture.

1080p is just about standard on most TV's now but thats what you want.

The telly will probably be mounted on the wall, and the room itself is quite small, and relatively dark all the time. Will be sitting 2 1/2-3metres tops away from telly. Think it will be used for most stuff really. I will connect the PS3 to it for gaming, and dvd/bluray as im a massive film fan, and i guess my missus wants to watch all her programmes (im the one buying it so she really just have to accept what she gets :devil:)

Not sure to where to view TV's at. Know about curry's, argos, asda and tescos. Unfortunately this place is very small, so not many big shops around where you can proper telly browse, if you can at all, so thats why i was looking on the internet. I would love to have a LED tv, but its out of my price range atm i think.

vickster

Distinguished Member
S30 then :) ^^^ (maybe wait and see if it comes down a bit more in the post-Xmas sales)

caindey

Standard Member
found a 40" Samsung D5000 LED tv for £399, dunno if thats any good?

And I've had a look around for plasmas, and (i might be blind) they all seem to be HD ready only? Doesnt the Full HD and 1080p apply to plasma tv's?

caindey

Standard Member
found a 40" Samsung D5000 LED tv for £399, dunno if thats any good?

And I've had a look around for plasmas, and (i might be blind) they all seem to be HD ready only? Doesnt the Full HD and 1080p apply to plasma tv's?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, around £400-450 you an get the full HD Panasonic 42U30 or the better specced 42S30 (which I said before)

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Plasma pros:
Deeper more detailed blacks.
Lower lag for gaming.
Better motion handling.
No viewing angle restrictions.
No back light bleed.
Uniform picture.
More natural image, closer to CRT.
High useable contrast ratio.

Cons.
Cost a tad more to run.
Get IR(burn is extreamly rare and possiable on LCD).
LCDs can go brighter.
Not as thin as LED LCDs.

LCD pros:
Can produce a brighter image, hence better suited tobright rooms.
Sets with matt screens do reflect.
Cost a tad less to run.
Dont get IR.
Are NOT sharper than plasma;) people think this due to the bright picture.

Cons.
Cost more to buy(like for like)
viewing angle restrictions(varies dependimg on set)
less detail in darker parts of the image when trying to match plasma levels of black.
light uniformity issues, amount depending on make/model(Edge lit LED sets can be particularly bad.
Back light bleed.
lower motion resolution compared to most plasmas.
Motion blur.
Higher lag on sets at and over 40".
Active 3D has bad crosstalk, passive is better for LCD.
Poor in dark rooms due to uniformity and black level problems.

As said the S30 is well worth a look, or save for the ST if you want 3D.
Panasonic make the best plasmas closely followed by Samsung, LG have fallen behind plasma wise.

caindey

Standard Member
Allright. Quite nice replies here guys :)

Im having a look at the S30 as we speak. If it were to be a Samsung instead of the Panasonic, which one would you say would be equivalant to the S30?

Hopefully im going to get one this week. The PS3 is already bought, but doesnt work proerly without a TV :smashin:

caindey

Standard Member
The U3 is a low range set, S30 is a low mid ranage set. Id have the S30 over a cheap edge lit LED LCD by a looong way.

So from what everyone says, there is really no comparison to the Panasonic S30, when it comes to this price range ofc?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom