First turntable, adventure into HIFI continues

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by nickos, Jan 30, 2014.

1. nickos

nickos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really enjoying physically having my media now, films are fine for the NAS drive but after years of substandard quality music i know realise the error of my ways..

I really like the idea of Vinyl, especially with what i have read on the phono stage of the audiolab

Its going to take me a month or 2 to change the audiolab for a pre power setup, in the meantime i fancy an experiment into vinyl.

I have read alot of good reviews on the por-ject carbon and am thinking that may be the way to go.

Can i have any thoughts on this, what people recommend and if this sounds like a good way to go?

Obviously the rest of my setup is not particularly modern, would an older turntable in a similar price range to the pro-ject carbon be a better idea? budget is no more than the £279 the pro-ject is up for.

Thanks for your help

2. DIBSTER

DIBSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I take it you've not got any vinyl yet, just starting out? At that budget I would probably suggest going for a second hand Pro-Ject or Rega, with a decent cartridge on (think Ortofon 2M Red area). For example last year I bought a mint Rega P3/RB300/Bias 2/all original packaging etc. for £200. Apart from changing up the Bias cart to a 2M Blue it has been a great performer. Considerably cheaper than the equivalent current RP3 model, but hardly any lesser a turntable in my opinion.

The point I'm trying to make is a good 2nd hand set-up need not cost the earth, and at the end of it if you decide that vinyl is not for you then you can easily sell on a Rega or Pro-Ject with minimal loss if any. The flipside to this is that you may love vinyl and want to move upwards, so again a good 2nd hand model can be easily moved on, particularly now that vinyl is all the rage again.

3. nickos

nickos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Dibster, i took your advice, as i had no vinyl to speak of and just wanted to know i liked the sound i bought a 2nd hand Nad 533 (rega 2 planaar i believe), now up to 20LP's and my new cdp isnt getting a look in...

i think my next upgrade will be the turntable, am in love with vinyl