1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First timer needs advice!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ScouserAndy, May 30, 2004.

1. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hello all im new to here, love the forum, huge amount of info!!

To my question, im sorta new to all this home cinema, i've had my 5.1 setup for about 2 yrs now, and would love a projector now i have just bought my first house!!

My budget is about £1000, most likely i'll pay off monthly! I've been reading around and the Optoma H30 seems to be the baby to buy. Up untill now i've been looking through Argos, Comet, and Currys and thinking they had good projectors for offer :blush:

I want the picture basically above the fireplace in the living room and the width of the room is approx 11 ft, so i dunno how big a screen i can get off that, but basically the projector couldnt go any further back than that.

So can anyone help me with picking my first projector? :thumbsup:

Onto the screen bit, can i get away with using a normal household blackout rollerblind from Ikea for 50 quid? lol, is it really worth an extra 200 quid for a branded screen??

Hope you guys can help me, thanks in advance!

2. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  3. lofty

lofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, ScouseAndy

The best thing to do is make a shortlist of the pj's you're interested in, and then find a place to demo them.

There are tonnes of helpful threads on here, and when you start to read them, you will realise that pj's are like everything else in this world - namely everyone has their own idea of what is good/bad, and what some people think is excellent, others think is rubbish.!

I decided I wanted a pj about 6 weeks ago, did a load of reading on here and other sites on the 'tinternet, then demo'd the ones I was interested in and bought one. (an H30, by the way)

As for the screen. I project mine onto a matt white wall, which I find absolutely fine. (BTW I was projecting onto a "matt magnolia wall 1.2" -but "upgraded" to "brilliant matt white wall 2.3" :laugh: . It did make a difference!)I'm sure that a good screen will make a difference - but I'm not prepared to pay a load of money when I am so happy with the picture quality as it is.

If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be this. Read all you can, but don't buy anything until you've seen it in the flesh and convinced yourself that it meets your requirements.

Cheers
    Lofty

4. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks for the help there.

Just wondering that if i had the projecter 11ft away from where i wanted the picture to be, can i shrink or increase the picture size from a fixed projector point or do i have to move the projector further away to get a bigger picture?

may sound like a daft questions but i havent got a clue!

5. lofty

lofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Short answer. Yes, you can.

You've got a range within which you can increase or decrease the image size from a fixed point - or to keep the same image size and move the pj forwards/backwards to accomodate the room size/obstacles.

There are tables to work these screen sizes Vs distances for different projectors.

Another thing. Pj's have different "throws". some are "short" some are "long" and some are "in-between!" :zonked: So your room size may limit your choice of pj.(depending on the screen size you want)

Hope that makes sense. :smashin:

Cheers
    Lofty.

6. lofty

lofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0