First Timer Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by davidredge, Sep 27, 2004.

1. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but hey...

I've currently got an aging widescreen TV with Prologic. For years i've been looking at upgrading to 5.1 or higher, but never had the chance!

I've not got £1500 to spare and, rather than looking at top-end equipment, I want something that can offer a good starting point. I'm pretty happy with the current TV (although, in time i'll be opting for a top-drawer projector). At the moment, its sound thats important to me.

Its not a huge budget but as i say its only a starting point. While my room is big enough to warrent 7.1, i'm being realistic by expecting a reasonably decent 5.1 set up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what products to buy? PL2 would also be nice (the gamecube needs to stretch its aural legs too!)

Also, i'd be very interested in setting it up myself. I;ve got the patience - is it extremely difficult or just midly so?!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been into creative audio a few times! But only for a look, unfortunately! I live in Shrewsbury, so your quite handy (and far more professional than SMC… these guys actually put me off buying some time ago.

Is £1,500 enough for a reasonable ‘starter' kit, or should I attempt to budget/save a bit more?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    erm i dont work for creative..... get a demo £1500 is enough to seriously blow your socks off! you were put off by SMC.... that is worrying! they are in the £40k+ HC market tho..... go get a demo of the Kef 5005 and AE packages see what you like.

5. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i was looking for my DVD player (years go, i brought mine very soon after they were available) i went to SMC, they gave a demo and really pushed hard to sell ANY DVD player they could.

By the time i left, i actually felt uncomfortable. Creative actually gave ADVICE rather than be pushy. They were very keen to point out that I would need a player with MPEG multichannel and DD5.1 as no one really knew which would succeed long term.